Instant Pot Chicken Marsala – Easy Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala has all the flavors of marsala that you know and love, but with the convenience of cooking in the Instant Pot. You’ll adore how quickly it comes together and you’ll find yourself coming back to this recipe time and time again. It’s great served with pasta, spaghetti squash, or rice!
This Instant Pot Chicken Marsala has nudged my Healthy Chicken Piccata out as my go-to Instant Pot chicken recipe. Ben and I both love it and I especially love it if I buy the pre-washed, pre-sliced mushrooms. Why are mushrooms such a pain to wash? I’m here to constantly debunk the rumor that food bloggers prepare a perfect meal from scratch three times a day.
Eggs Benedict for breakfast with fresh fruit.
A lunch of from scratch chicken salad, including the mayo. Piled on top of a from-scratch croissant, of course. Oui, oui.
And then dinner is something fancy, too. I’m not even fancy enough to think up something. Filet mignon with truffles. Yes, that.
I’m here to tell you, we’re real people. Well, I am. I’ll let the others speak for themselves. Tonight, we’re having leftover chili and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER ABOUT THE FACT THAT I DON’T HAVE TO COOK.
So happy that I had to internet yell it at you.
I love to cook, but sometimes, I really don’t love to cook. And 95% of the time, I’m reaching for one of my quick and easy recipes that I have posted here on Rachel Cooks. I want to get in and get out and move on with my life. I just do! We’re in a busy season of life (I know, everyone is!), and I don’t have hours to spend making dinner. It’s just life and I know that 99% of you are right there with me.
Sheet pan dinners, one pan meals, Instant Pot Recipes. They keep us going.
And you know what? They taste great too, so what’s the point of overcomplicating things?
Make this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala your own!
- If you want it to be gluten-free: Skip the flour breading or bread in an equal amount of almond flour.
- Make it creamy: Slowly stir in 2-4 tablespoons of heavy cream when it’s done cooking.
- Decrease the calorie count a bit: Skip stirring the butter in to the sauce at the end. I love the silkiness and flavor that it adds, but I don’t always add it.
- Make it faster: You can skip pounding out the chicken into thin cutlets. I like how they turn out that way best, but I’ve made it and skipped that step and they turn out just fine that way as well. The perk to keeping them thicker is that you can usually sear them all at once instead of in batches.
Chicken Marsala Serving Suggestions:
- Since there’s sauce involved in this recipe, the Chicken marsala goes great on rice, pasta, potatoes, or spaghetti squash. It’s a great use for the juice and it brings the meal together.
- A tossed salad is always great! Try a leafy green salad with lots of vegetables, homemade croutons, and some healthy ranch dressing or Parmesan peppercorn dressing.
- I love a green vegetable with this recipe. Since this recipe is made in the Instant Pot, it leaves your oven open for roasting some vegetables! Try Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Asiago, Roasted Parmesan Broccoli, or Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan and Basil. If you don’t want to turn the oven on, try these sautéed Green Beans with Lemon and Feta.
- If you want some more carbs (who doesn’t?), I’m completely obsessed with this chive bread and I know you will be too. It’s a great alternative to garlic bread.
What kind of Marsala wine is best for chicken marsala?
I like dry Marsala wine for this chicken marsala recipe, but you could also use sweet if that’s your preference or that’s what you have in the house. However, sweet Marsala wine is more commonly used in dessert recipes.
Can you make Chicken Marsala without Marsala wine?
Well, you can do whatever you want. I’m not in your kitchen babysitting. Will it taste like Chicken Marsala without the Marsala? Probably not. However, if you’re in a pinch, you could try a mix of dry white wine and brandy. For this recipe, I’d recommend 1/2 cup dry white wine and 2 tablespoons brandy.
PS: This is the Instant Pot model I have – no complaints at all! The 6-quart is a great size for our family of four.
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala - Easy Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala has all the flavors of marsala that you know and love, but with the convenience of cooking in the Instant Pot. You’ll adore how quickly it comes together and you’ll find yourself coming back to this recipe time and time again. It’s great served with pasta or rice.
- 1.5 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnishing
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken breasts evenly to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place flattened chicken breasts in a zip-top bag with flour, salt, and pepper. Shake to coat chicken with flour mixture.
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute and add oil. When hot, add chicken and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. You may need to do it in batches. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add prosciutto and mushrooms to Instant Pot and cook until prosciutto is crispy and mushrooms are browned. Add Marsala wine and chicken stock and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken back in and settle it down into the liquid.
- Put cover on (make sure vent is turned to “seal”). Set Instant Pot to Manual (high pressure) for 10 minutes.
- Once done, quick release the pressure. Use an instant read thermometer and ensure chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir butter into sauce until melted.
- Serve chicken topped with mushrooms, sauce in pan, and fresh parsley.
Yield: 3 servings, Serving Size: 1 of 3
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 600 Calories
- Total Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 167mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 71g
Verdict: I love this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe and have already started coming back to it time and time again.
Husband’s take: Chicken Marsala is one of Ben’s favorite things, so there’s no question that he loves this recipe!
Changes I’d make: None are necessary, but I’ve made it without the prosciutto when I’m in a pinch. You could also substitute bacon or pancetta if you wanted to.