Whipped Feta with Lemon and Dill
Whipped feta with lemon and dill is the perfect summer spread! Classy and sophisticated with the bright flavors of lemon, it’s perfect spread on a crisp slice of French bread!
This whipped feta with lemon and dill might be my new favorite appetizer! It could have been everyone raving about it that gave it the nomination of my favorite, but really, there’s more to it than that. Whipped feta with lemon and dill has all the great salty flavor of feta, but it’s smooth and silky with bright citrusy lemon complemented by herby dill.
It’s most definitely going on my next cheese plate/charcuterie board– trust me, it’s going to be the one thing people keep inquiring about. What’s this spread? What’s in this? This is SO good!
About this whipped feta
A few things about this whipped feta spread. Use full-fat block feta. It’s going to give you a better, smoother result than crumbled feta. Just say no to fat-free feta crumbles. Reduced fat maybe…., but trust me, you really want a block of full-fat feta cheese for this recipe. I do use reduced-fat cream cheese because it’s naturally softer and easier to blend into this whipped feta. Please, stay clear of nonfat cream cheese; however, full fat cream cheese will work just fine as long as you soften it on the counter for 45 minutes to an hour prior to preparing this recipe.
If you’ve tried my herbed feta dip, this recipe is similar but the lemon really makes this one stand out. It’s bright and cheerful and absolutely perfect with a rich, bold olive oil. Grab the best bottle in your pantry to drizzle on top — it’s the perfect accent to the tart citrus. Trust me!
Other easy summer appetizer ideas:
- Fresh Tomato Tart – bonus: it’s so pretty!
- Mango Avocado Salsa – great on shrimp tacos, but great with chips too!
- Mexican Corn Dip – like street corn but in a healthy-ish dip form!
- Healthy Dill Vegetable Dip – a huge crowd pleaser!
- 8 ounces full-fat feta cheese (block is preferable), crumbled and at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat plain cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzle
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (make sure you zest it first!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Crispy bread or pita triangles for serving
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth and slightly fluffy, 4-5 minutes, scraping down edges as needed.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Spread onto serving dish or bowl and drizzle with olive oil (see note). Serve with crispy bread or pita triangles.
You can really taste the olive oil drizzled on top so find a really good quality, flavorful olive oil. I like a rich, buttery olive oil to contrast the bright citrus flavor of the whipped feta.
Garnish with lemon zest and fresh dill fronds, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Husband’s take: “It isn’t bad.” It has a bit too much lemon for Ben’s personal taste, but I brought it to a family BBQ and everyone else raved about it. He’s the odd man out on this one.
Changes I would make: None!
Difficulty: Super easy!