Farro Salad with Butternut Squash, Bacon and Cranberries
Farro salad with butternut squash, bacon, cranberries, kale and feta. This hearty salad is fall in a bowl!
So, today, as I write this (on Tuesday, November 3rd), it is 68 degrees out and sunny. 68 and sunny! In Michigan! In November! It’s basically a gift from God and the best thing ever. I wish we could have this weather all year round.
I’m also on my 3rd and final day of a three day juice cleanse and may I just say, I’m happy I’m almost done. I’ve done a juice cleanse in the past and tried out a new one this time. I liked the other one better – the juice cleanse I’m doing now is tough to stomach. The juices are not so tasty.
But I’m glad I did it – I feel rejuvenated and ready to really focus on healthy eating again. I’ve been slacking on my fruit and vegetable intake lately so I really feel refocused now. Hopefully I can stick with it.
This farro salad with butternut squash fits the bill, I think. There’s a little bacon thrown in but a little bacon never hurt anyone! It also is pretty much the perfect taste of fall. Sweet squash, salty bacon, chewy dried cranberries, and flavorful feta. Some bright green baby kale makes you feel extra good about yourself. And farro – oh, how I love farro. Chewy and delightful, the farro will keep you full for hours.
Tip: I have a full tutorial on how to cook butternut squash that includes step-by-step photos of how to peel and cut butternut squash (it can be so tricky!) if you need some guidance!
The dressing also has tastes of fall infused into it. Warm cinnamon and sweet apple cider tie this salad together perfectly. This white wine vinaigrette would also be great.
Craving more fall salads like this farro salad with butternut squash?
Okay, I realize this is a long list but I love a good salad and you can never have too many salads, right? If you’re still looking for more salads, I think we could be friends!
- Farro Salad with Za’atar
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Arugula & Sweet Potato
- Broccoli and Feta, Salad with Beets, Almonds and Feta (Okay I love feta!)
- Quinoa and Wheat Berry Salad
- Kale Salad with Pomegranate, Orange and Pine Nuts
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Apples (this one is perfect for Thanksgiving!)
- Salad with Broiled Apples and Pecans
- Salad with Apples and Cucumbers
- Autumn Quinoa Salad with Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- Greek Farro Salad from Cookie + Kate
- Farro Salad with Creamy Vidalia Dressing from Healthy Delicious.
For the Salad:
- 1 cup farro, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups loosely packed baby kale leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 5 slices thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked until crispy
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked and cooled farro, roasted squash, baby kale, feta, cranberries and bacon (leave bacon out if not serving immediately – unless you like soggy bacon).
- In a small jar or bowl, mix together dressing ingredients: apple cider, apple cider vinegar, mustard, cinnamon, olive oil, maple syrup. Stir or shake to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 373mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 9g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.