Reduced Fat Banana Bread
This reduced fat banana bread made with applesauce is a winning recipe I’ve made many times. Enjoy it with a cup of coffee or hot tea!
This banana bread recipe is probably the first banana bread I ever made. There are lots of other recipes for banana bread on Rachel Cooks but this one kind of has a special place in my heart.
It’s reduced fat and I like it better than full fat banana bread. It is moist, delicious and easy to make! It turns out perfectly every time!
I’m not sure where I got the recipe–it isn’t my mom’s recipe. Her recipe us
es lots of butter but I wanted to make a healthier version. Instead of butter, I use applesauce and just 2 tablespoons of oil.
Hint: The individual servings of applesauce that you can buy for kids’ lunches are exactly 1/2 cup.
Go buy some bananas, let them get brown, and make this bread! Then sit down in a comfortable chair, with a steaming hot beverage, and read that book you’ve been waiting to read for ages.
You can easily double this recipe and make two loaves, while you’re at it. Freeze one loaf to use later.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare 9 by 5 loaf pan by lightly spraying with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk in eggs until combined. Using a large spoon, stir in banana. Gradually stir in flour mixture until just combined. Evenly pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer bread in pan to a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges of bread to loosen from pan. Invert onto rack and turn bread topside up. Let stand until cooled completely (if you can wait that long). Cut into slices.
- This freezes well. I almost always double the recipe and wrap one loaf in foil, then put in a freezer zip-top bag and freeze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 226mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Protein: 3g
Verdict: I love this banana bread. If you want an extra special treat, throw in some chocolate chips.
Husband’s take: He also loves it.
Changes I would make: I often substitute whole wheat flour for all or part of the all-purpose flour.