Bean and Cheese Taco Rolls
These bean and cheese taco rolls are the perfect lunchtime treat — imagine a cinnamon roll except take out the cinnamon and add lots of great southwestern flavor!
Picture a soft, chewy, gooey cinnamon roll. Got it?
Now take out the cinnamon and sugar so you’re left with that soft swirl of dough. Got that?
Now, add in tons of gooey cheese, flavorful green onions, and refried beans flavored with taco seasoning. Picture that cheese and bean mixture bubbling and forming soft, doughy rolls filled with amazing southwestern flavor.
Sound like something you’d want to eat? I know I do!
I’ll admit, the first time I took these out of the oven, I thought the recipe was a failure. You might too, be warned. Some of the filling does ooze out, but rest assured, there is plenty left inside each one of these rolls. From the first bite, I knew the recipe was a success. And I for one love the crispy cheesy “crust” that forms on the bottom of each of these rolls.
I used a store-bought pizza dough to make these rolls but you can use your favorite homemade recipe too. All you have to do is roll it out nice and thin and then spread with your bean/taco seasoning mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions, roll up, slice, and bake! You’ll want to let them cool just slightly before eating so that the filling has a chance to set back up slightly.
This recipe is great for the day after tacos night too. If you had some leftover taco meat, you could add that to these rolls (just don’t add a TON or they won’t roll up well – I’d recommend 3/4 cup or less).
Bean and Cheese Taco Rolls
Yield: 12-15 rolls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 24 minutes
These bean and cheese taco rolls are the perfect lunchtime treat -- imagine a cinnamon roll except take out the cinnamon and add lots of great southwestern flavor!
- 1 pizza crust dough
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together refried beans with taco seasoning.
- On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough to about 11x15-inches.
- Spread beans over dough all the way to the edges. Sprinkle with cheese and then green onions and pat down gently to adhere to the beans.
- Starting from the long end of the dough, roll dough tightly into a roll. Carefully cut slices off (about 1-inch each). Place on a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet. Cook in preheated oven for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Some of the filling may leak out - that’s okay. Let cool slightly (2-3 minutes) on the tray before serving.
Serving Size: 1 roll
Psst – if you love a taco and you love a roll, make sure to also check out my southwestern cream cheese tortilla roll ups!
**Disclosure: I am thrilled to be a dairy ambassador for Milk Means More. I have been compensated by Milk Means More for my time. All opinions are as always, my own. Find out more about why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.