Apple Blueberry Crisp in Cast Iron

by Rachel Gurk on March 26, 2012 · 36 comments

in Desserts

My original title for this post was “Apple Blueberry Crisp for Two,” because I was using a cute little cast iron pan that I thought was perfect for two people. Then I piled it so full of delicious stuff that I realized I would be kind of a fatty if I ate half of it.

In other words, a more accurate title would be: “It Will Take You Two Short Days to Eat This Apple Blueberry Crisp for Two.”

Too long? Hmm…

“Apple Blueberry Crisp for Two Little Piggies.”

Too harsh?

I guess I’ll stick with the current title and let you split it however you want.

And for the official record, my daughter ate a little bit of this too. So I guess it served three. Or two and a half but I’m not entirely crazy about calling my daughter a “half.”

Apple Blueberry Crisp

2.5 cups chopped apples
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (use already ground if you have to)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup softened unsalted butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray small cast iron pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Spread chopped apples in bottom of pan, sprinkle blueberries on top of apples.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Cut in butter using a fork or a pastry cutter until combined and butter is in small pieces. Sprinkle this mixture on top of fruit.
4. Bake 30-40 minutes until apples are soft and crisp on top is browned.
5. Enjoy with ice cream. Or for breakfast. Or for breakfast with ice cream.

Verdict: This crisp is one of my favorite desserts, it is delicious with just apples as well, if you’re not in the mood for blueberries.
Husband’s take: “I could live on this stuff! I wish E would stop mooching off of mine!”
Changes I would make: Nada. Note: I used frozen blueberries because they were all I had on hand. Either is fine, but fresh is almost always better. By the way, if you think it looks a little runny, that’s because it is. I like it that way, especially with ice cream. Also, it was still warm when these photos were taken.
Also note: if you don’t have a mini-cast iron pan (this one is six inches, you could easily use any other baking dish. A 8- or 9-inch square baking dish would work fine, just resulting in a slightly thinner crisp.
Difficulty: Easy.

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kathryn March 26, 2012 at 6:10 am

Funny, I have exactly the same problem with quantities sometimes. My boyfriend and I will often eat all of a dish that I know should serve at least four ;)

I love the addition of blueberries here, they work so well with the apple. And the little cast iron pan is adorable.

2 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

Love this cast iron idea! This crisp looks so yummy!

3 Blog is the New Black March 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

Ah, looks like the perfect dessert!

4 Miriam @ Overtime Cook March 26, 2012 at 7:51 am

This looks amazing! I love fruit desserts like these because they are less guilty feeling than cakes and cookies etc.

5 katie March 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love making “crisps” and this one looks especially awesome. I do not own a cast iron skillet and its my goal this week on our cross-country road trip to purchase one!

6 Megan @ Country Cleaver March 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Anything made in a cast iron skillet is a winner in my book. And apple blueberry crisp? Double win.

7 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 26, 2012 at 9:36 am

mmm that looks delicious and perfect for spring!

8 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

Thanks Brittany! It is great in the fall too…today feels like fall, sadly.

9 kelley March 26, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love that little pan. In my house that crisp wouldn’t last long. I can always justify fruit desserts for breakfast! Looks good!!

10 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

Me too! Fruit…oats…100% okay ;)

11 Julie @ Table for Two March 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

this looks so delicious!! I love crisps, I made one for thanksgiving that was an apple crisp but I didn’t use a cast iron (which is brilliant, I seriously love baked goods in cast irons — they look so rustic and pretty) and I didn’t use blueberries — what a great combination you made! love it!

12 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

yum!! I swear everyone is just torturing me with cast iron recipes on purpose… must buy one!

13 Cassie March 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’m a huge fan of crisps. That topping just makes me weak in the knees. Great addition with the blueberries!

14 Windy March 26, 2012 at 10:46 am

Oh this looks so good. Don’t tell the Mr. (he might find it ground for splitting up) but I like crisps so much more than pies. And I agree, I don’t like the idea of a half-a-kid. Just sounds way wrong.

15 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Haha! I like crisps better than pies too, I think.

16 Tracey March 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

Fruit crisps are one of my favorite things ever, especially when topped with ice cream! This looks awesome!

17 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Don’t tell, but it is frozen yogurt ;)

18 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

I officially need a really good cast iron skillet!

19 claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I’d eat the entire pan. Woops haha :)

20 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I easily could too…

21 Alyss March 26, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Ha! I love all of the names. Looks great!

22 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you!

23 Karriann March 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Crisps-ilicious!

“Happy Cooking”

24 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I love a good crisp, especially with some ice cream on top! And desserts in smaller portions are always welcome around this house!

25 Alison March 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

YUM. Regardless of the title, this makes me want to rush into my kitchen and make an apple blueberry crisp!

26 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb March 27, 2012 at 2:41 am

Hi Rachel!

I understand why this is your favourite dessert. It looks amazing. blueberries r always awesome and with apple and crisp baked in cast iron… YUMM!

27 Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) March 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

I can’t quite eat crisp without a big dollop of vanilla bean ice cream! I’m sure this would pair excellently with it as well though :) Makes me yearn for a cast iron skillet of my own…

28 Baking Serendipity March 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Crisps are my absolute favorite summer dessert. I’m so excited to see them popping up again…and love yours!

29 Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker March 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Ok – I HAVE to ask! Where on earth do you buy one of these skillets?? I have been dying to make cookies in a skillet! This cobbler looks just fantastic in the meantime. Thanks for sharing!

30 Rachel March 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This one is Lodge brand, you can buy it online. It is 6.5 inches but I believe that they may even have smaller ones. Yup…just looked, they also have 5-inch, and a 3-inch.

31 sally @ sallys baking addiction March 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

haha i like the title “apple blueberry crisp for two little piggies.” piggy or not, i feel i could devour all that. i *LOVE* apple crisp, it is hands down my favorite dessert.

32 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm

“Apple Blueberry Crisp For Two” sounds perfect. I’ll eat half of this no problem :)

33 30A EATS April 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

Love the cast iron too! So cute and handy! Lodge is great! Beautiful berry crisp! Can’t wait to try!

34 Elisa July 24, 2012 at 3:20 am

This looks Ridunkulis! Can’t want to try it. Nomnomnom :)

35 B August 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Out of all the apple crisp recipes on Pinterest I choose yours! I am going to be making 3 crisp today. One for my husbands crew at the fire dept, and one each for 2 new neighbors. I think we should all go back to the ol days when new neighbors were welcomed to the neighborhood with dessert! I will report on how it goes but I have a hunch no one will be complaining! Thank you for pinning such a delicious sounding crisp.

36 Rachel August 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Fun! I hope you all enjoy it!

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

Previous post: