Vanilla Bean Spreadable Cream Cheese

What do you like to eat for breakfast? Cereal? Eggs? Bacon? Bagels?

Every once in a while I really get the craving for a bagel and cream cheese.

This is a delicious choice for spreading on your toast or bagel. It is subtly sweetened by honey and flavored with vanilla bean and freshly ground nutmeg. It is so tasty. It would be great for a holiday brunch.

Vanilla Bean Spreadable Cream Cheese

one 8oz. block of cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk (I used cream…you know…to even out the low-fat cream cheese…)
the seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1 Tablespoon honey (you can use more or less depending on how sweet you want it–this isn’t very sweet)
dash to 1/4 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg (optional)

1. Whip all ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth and slightly fluffy.
2. Spread on toasted bagels, or whatever else you like!

Verdict: Delicious! A good twist of plain ol’ cream cheese.
Husband’s take: He didn’t try it. He’s not a huge cream cheese fan. Crazy.
Changes I would make: Nada.
Difficulty: So easy!

Also, I chose a winner of the cake pop stand giveaway, make sure you check to see if it is you!

32 Responses to “Vanilla Bean Spreadable Cream Cheese”

1. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — November 4, 2011 at 6:55 am

Mmmmm this is like dessert for breakfast!

2. Erika - The Teenage Taste — November 4, 2011 at 7:16 am

This looks delicious! Plus it’s the perfect way to fancy up a boring bagel! :)

3. amanda @ fake ginger — November 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

That looks like slightly melted vanilla bean ice cream. I need that on a bagel immediately.

4. Cassie @ bake your day — November 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

This is so fun, I’d love to have some for breakfast…I agree with Amanda, it does look like ice cream!

5. Bev Weidner — November 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

I LOVE THIS. Why do I want to smear that all over my face?

6. Kristina @ spabettie — November 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

Mmm – this looks so pretty, too – I love the specs of vanilla!

7. brandi — November 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

that last shot is awesome. i love being able to see vanilla beans!

8. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — November 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Beautiful photos! I love vanilla and love your twist on this recipe! :)

9. elizabeth — November 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Mmmm….can’t wait to try this! I have another cream cheese recipe I’d love to share with you. My husband eats it almost every day on a bagel.

10. Geni — November 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Ooooh. This sounds so good with a cinnamon raising bagel…or a pumpkin bagel…or on top of datenut bread….

11. Claire @ Claire K Creations — November 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I go for anything with vanilla in it and if I can see the little vanilla beans I’m sold. Yum!

12. Christa @ Little BGCG — November 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm

OMG this looks amazing and would be perfect on toast (you know as opposed to all the other things you use cream cheese for lol) oooh maybe the base of really really good cheesecake!?

13. Baking Serendipity — November 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Bagels and cream cheese are one of my favorite simple breakfasts! I always gripe about how expensive the fancy cream cheese flavors are at bagel shops, but never think to make my own. This is genius!

14. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — November 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

Great idea. Can’t wait to try!

15. Leslie Means @ Her View From Home — November 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Yum..this looks good! We LOVE cream cheese in our house. We often put a few spices in our cream cheese and then add it to pasta – SO GOOD!

16. Ashley@BakerbyNature — November 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

This looks SO pretty! I think it would last a whole 5 extra minutes in my house being admired for it’s beauty before being devoured – we eat a lot of bagels up in here…

I will definitely be trying this out after Christmas, if not before – My Mama always sticks some jars of fresh vanilla beans in the ol’ stocking :)

17. Feast on the Cheap — November 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm

What a great idea! kinda like frosting for your bagel…

18. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — November 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love cream cheese and could use an entire tub on a bagel… vanilla bean sounds so amazing I am afraid to try it!

19. mjskit — November 7, 2011 at 12:27 am

YUMMY! This looks delicious! and so easy!

20. jess☆ @ Multicultural Melbourne — November 7, 2011 at 3:11 am

you genius… yum!!! I’m feeling like this would be great in a croissant…

21. Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama — November 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love bagels and cream cheese!

22. Tracey — November 7, 2011 at 8:38 pm

This would be so fantastic as part of a holiday spread – it sounds delicious and it’s beautiful!

23. the wicked noodle — November 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

This looks AH-MA-ZING!! I love cream cheese and can think of so many yummy uses for this. Thanks for the inspiration! xoxo

24. Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} — November 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I’d grab a second bagel if it’s served with this vanilla cream cheese!

25. Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos — November 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This is a great idea (and so much better than buying a processed version) :) I could just picture this on a really good cinnamon raisin bagel.. yum!

26. Nutmeg Nanny — November 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm

This is cream cheese heaven!!!!

27. a spoonful of yumm — November 10, 2011 at 8:39 am

yummy yumm !! looks gorgeous :D

28. Christine — November 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hey Foodies, Rachel’s Spread recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/550?source=blog

29. Cat Davis - Food Family Finds — November 20, 2011 at 1:28 am

Mmmm that would be great spread on a sugar cookie with some fruit.

• Rachel — November 20th, 2011 @ 10:29 am