Asian Grilled Chicken

This is my first post for The Secret Recipe Club. I’m so excited to join this fantastic group of food bloggers. Each month we are assigned another food blog. We scour their site choosing a recipe to recreate, putting our own spin on it if we would like. This month I was assigned to Jason’s blog, Jason’s BBQ Adventures. Jason has some great recipes on his site (especially if you’re a meat lover like my husband and myself), but I ultimately decided on this Asian Grilled Chicken. We love to use the grill more and more as the weather gets warmer. Also, this recipe was super easy to prepare, and you all know how much I love my easy dinners!

I did make some minimal modifications to this recipe. I increased a lot of the ingredients in varying proportions because I had nearly three pounds of chicken instead of the 1 pound written in the recipe. We like to grill extra to enjoy the following day (piled on top of a salad in my case). I also added sesame oil and freshly grated ginger for more flavor variety. Someone commented on Jason’s blog that this chicken was slightly lacking in flavor. If I may get up on my soapbox for a moment, I would first like to give Jason credit for approving a rudely written comment. That takes guts and integrity. Secondly, if you have something not so nice to say about a recipe, fine. We all love feedback. Well, I shouldn’t speak for everyone, but I love feedback. If a recipe stinks, I for one would like to know about it. But you have two options in this scenario: 1) “Hey, I really liked the red pepper flakes in this recipe, but I’m searching for a little more flavor. Do you have any suggestions?” 2) Write the author a private message or email. C’mon people, it is only polite. Okay, stepping off of my soapbox now. I’ve never actually had anything like this happen to me personally. You people (my readers) kick butt. You’re seriously awesome.

I could definitely taste the addition of the sesame oil and the grated ginger, but if you’re not into those flavors, I think it would be great without them. The red pepper flakes, garlic, and soy sauce really came through as well. I also marinated mine for probably close to 16 hours because we ended up grilling these one day later than originally planned. They certainly weren’t lacking flavor after that amount of time marinating.

I garnished with parsley because it is what I had, but if I lived in a grocery store (how handy would that be?), I would have garnished these with sliced green onions or cilantro. I served it with jasmine rice topped with sliced almonds, and a side of Asian style slaw.

Asian Grilled Chicken
Adapted from Jason’s BBQ Adventures

Two 14 oz. cans of chicken broth
6 Tbsp light soy sauce (reduced sodium)
3 Tbsp white vinegar
3 tsp white sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
¾ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
2.5-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast

1. Mix together all ingredients except chicken in a bowl.
2. Place chicken in zip top bag.
3. Pour marinade in bag and place in refrigerator for at least four hours (I put my bag in a pan or bowl just in case of leakage).
4. Grill over medium direct heat until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.

Verdict: I liked these a lot. They had so much flavor. I really liked that all the ingredients are typically stocked in my pantry. I think this recipe will quickly become a go-to for us.
Husband’s take: He also liked this chicken a lot. He had nothing bad to say about it.
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty: Easy. Especially if someone else does the grilling for you! Just another reason to love summer. Give a guy some raw meat, a big metal spatula and a cold beer, and he’s happy to cook.

45 Responses to “Asian Grilled Chicken”

1. Jeanette — June 13, 2011 at 7:59 am

Great post and I love your choice for this month’s event. Your addition of sesame oil and ginger is right up my alley and love the side dishes you served up Jason’s Asian Grilled Chicken with.

2. Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — June 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

I think the addition of the ginger sounds great. The more flavor packed in, the better, in my opinion :)

3. Dan — June 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Jason’s recipes always look excellent and I can tell that you did a great job! I’m very jealous (my grill is sub-standard so I rarely use it).

Cheers!

4. Jason — June 13, 2011 at 9:54 am

WOW! Those look a lot better than when I did them. Ginger is a great addition to the recipe, I am going to have give it a shot.

• Rachel — June 15th, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Thanks Jason! I had fun browsing your blog!

5. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — June 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

My goodness that is some stunning chicken! I just love all the flavors that are combined here. My mouth is already watering thinking about dinner, and what I’d need to grab at the store to make this happen *tonight*.

6. Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy — June 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

I love all those flavors together – delicious!

7. Nutmeg Nanny — June 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

This looks great! Recipes like this always remind me why I need a grill….badly! Also I agree about nasty comments. Unfortunately it’s just something that comes with owning a blog. Under the disguise of anonymity people feel as though they can say whatever they want.

• Rachel — June 15th, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

You should get a grill pan. I have a cast iron one and I love it.

8. Angie @bigbearswife — June 13, 2011 at 11:18 am

This chicken recipe looks delish! I will be saving this. Found this through the The Secret Recipe Club blog hop :)

9. mariscallahan@gmail.com — June 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

This is getting bookmarked because it looks so delicious!

10. Tessa — June 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm

We love grilling and my husband loves asian flavors, so this sound perfect. Your pictures make it look so good!

11. sara — June 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yum, the marinade on that chicken sounds so delicious – sounds like an amazing dinner! :)

12. Katie @ This Chick Cooks — June 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

That chicken sounds yummy. We always love summer grilling, too :)
    Katie
    PS- I host a recipe swap every Wednesday and I’d love to have you if you get a chance.

13. Geni — June 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Sounds and looks delicious. Great idea to add sesame oil and ginger. I don’t think you could go wrong with those additions! :)

14. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — June 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm

This looks outstanding! I keep hearing about this secret recipe club–very intriguing!

• Rachel — June 15th, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

You should join! It’s fun! I hear there are 80 something new people for next month, crazy!

15. Simply Life — June 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Oooh that chicken looks GREAT!

16. Julie — June 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

We love grilled chicken! Always looking for new recipes. We’ll be trying this one soon!

17. Peggy — June 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

This doesn’t seem like it lacks flavor at all! I love everything that goes in to this marinade! Great job with the SRC!

18. Lisa~~ — June 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Looks delicious and beautiful photos!

19. Brooke @ Veggie Table — June 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

Love this post – and I can definitely use fake chicken. Thanks for sharing all the other recipes too!

20. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Beautiful pictures Rachel. I’m bookmarking!

21. Mom — June 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Great photo! Hey, you don’t live in a grocery store but you do live next door to one :)

• Rachel — June 14th, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Shhh…now I sound lazy ;)

22. Shelby — June 15, 2011 at 6:23 am

The entire meal looks delish! I love Jason’s blog to inspire for bbq’ing! The chicken looks yummy and even makes me want to dig in (the mostly vegetarian person in my home!)

23. Kristen — June 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

Kudos to you for making a piece of meat beautiful. Seriously, I have a horrible time making dinner look good for the camera and you hit it spot on. Sounds like a great meal.

• Rachel — June 15th, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

Thanks Kristen. That means a lot, because my photography skills are definitely hit or miss at this point in the game :)

24. Alan Cooke — June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Great Looking Recipe! Will have to try soon! Thanks for sharing!! =)
    @alanecooke

25. Jennifer Gonzalez — June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE this recipe!! Can I share it on my blog?

26. Tami — June 16, 2011 at 12:10 am

We love Asian food. We love to grill. Gotta try this recipe soon! Great pics to go along with the recipe. :)

• Rachel — June 16th, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Thanks Tami!

27. amanda @ fake ginger — June 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I was JUST searching for grilled chicken recipes that didn’t involve barbecue sauce and this looks perfect!

• Rachel — June 18th, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Perfect! Glad you came across my site!

28. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Looks fantastic, love the flavors. I always grill extra chicken to have the next day too.

29. K.W. — July 4, 2011 at 11:36 pm

A new twist on chicken.Will try it!!

30. Mrsblocko — August 9, 2011 at 10:15 am

This was an awesome marinade. We cut ours into strips and threaded them onto a skewer so they would cook faster. (Posted about it here.) Thank you for sharing the recipe.

• Rachel — August 9th, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Yum! That is a great idea! I’m glad they turned out well for you, thanks for telling me about it! :)

1. Pingback: Say NO! To Flab

2. Pingback: Sweet and Sour Chicken | Not Rachael Ray

3. Pingback: Learn More About Rachel: ABCs | Not Rachael Ray

4. Pingback: Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Grape Sauce | Not Rachael Ray

5. Pingback: Chicken Enchiladas Verde | Not Rachael Ray

6. Pingback: Make chicken breast tasty – 5 recipes you should try | Exquisite Girl

7. Pingback: Pesto and Cheese Stuffed Zucchini - Rachel Cooks