Zucchini noodle mason jar salad with farro and mozzarella – it makes the perfect lunch and is a taste of summer, in a jar!
Mason Jar Salads – all the rage, right? They are kinda genius if you think about it. A salad perfect for folks that are on the go – it stays fresh, it looks beautiful and it tastes great. Who invented these anyways? It was probably a blogger. I want to give them a high-five.
If you do any meal prep, these salads in a jar are a perfect thing to add to your meal prep list. If you don’t do meal prep, well, you should. I’m usually a total slacker about it but when I do it, I’m SO glad I did. But I don’t do it nearly enough.
About this Zucchini Noodle Mason Jar Salad
This zucchini noodle mason jar salad includes one of my favorite ingredients — zucchini noodles (I’m obsessed). If you don’t have a spiralizer to make these noodles, you can use a julienne blade on a mandoline or just carefully cut them into thin strips using a knife.
On top of the dressing (a white balsamic vinaigrette) and the zucchini noodles, I add a layer of whole grain farro. It’s an easy grain to cook, adds a great chewiness to this salad, and it’s nutritious. If you don’t happen to have farro on hand, try it with quinoa or barley.
Next up is the mozzarella. Ooooooohhhh fresh mozzarella, how I love you. I use pearls, but if you can’t find them, you can cut a larger piece of fresh mozzarella into small bite-sized pieces.
Then on top of the cheese comes fresh tomatoes and basil — the perfect touch of summertime.
Hope you love this zucchini noodle Mason jar salad as much as we do! And remember, you don’t have to put the salad in a jar. Make it and serve it right in the bowl if you prefer.
Craving more summer time salads? Try:
- Quinoa and Wheat Berry Salad with Green Beans and Dried Cranberries
- Barley Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Parsley
- Herbed Israeli Couscous Salad with Tomatoes and Mozzarella
- Asparagus Panzanella Salad with Homemade Croutons
- Taco Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad with Pepperoni and Italian Vinaigrette
- Bruschetta Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 teaspoon golden balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella pearls (or a larger size cut small)
- heaping half cup grape tomatoes
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- In the bottom of a mason jar, add vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake or stir to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- On top of dressing, add spiralized zucchini, then add farro, mozzarella, tomatoes and basil.
- When ready to serve, tear basil leaves to desired size, pour into a bowl or onto a plate, and stir to coat all ingredients with dressing. Enjoy!
- Will keep in fridge as long as basil stays fresh. If you plan to make these in advance, I would recommend adding tomatoes and basil prior to serving rather than keeping them in the fridge with the rest of the ingredients.
- If you don’t own a spiralizer, you can cut the zucchini into thin slices or use a mandoline to cut it into noodles.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Verdict: Looooove this salad. I could eat it every day.
Husband’s take: Ben loves this too! Especially the cheese.
Changes I would make: None are necessary!
Difficulty: So easy!
**Disclosure: I am thrilled to be a dairy ambassador for Milk Means More. I have been compensated by Milk Means More for my time. All opinions are as always, my own. Find out more about why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.