This kale salad keeps really well in your fridge – great for healthy eating all week! The honey Dijon dressing softens the kale perfectly.
I’ve just been informed that January 19th is National Popcorn Day. Which happens to be the day I’m writing this post. I’ve just (a week ago) made a pact with myself to only eat popcorn once a week. Monday nights while I watch the Bachelor. Which was last night. Which means I won’t be able to celebrate National Popcorn Day. That’s sad. And a little wrong. I might have to make an exception, but I probably won’t. My popcorn addiction is becoming the death of my waistline. I try not to eat much after dinner but when I make popcorn at least a few nights a week….
and pour 4 tablespoons of Kerrygold butter on it…
It’s probably not great for my relationship with my skinny jeans.
I used to be able to resist a just little bit but now Ben has been getting into it too, so even if I’m not planning to have popcorn, he asks, “Are you making popcorn tonight?” Well, then it is just hopeless. Once that idea is in my brain (okay, is it ever not in my brain?), I have to have it.
So basically, it’s all Ben’s fault.
(Not at all.)
Anyways….kale salad, anyone?
This kale salad is perfect for any of you that do weekend meal prep. It keeps great in the fridge, and I’d argue it gets even better as time goes by (to a reasonable extent, of course). The kale softens and becomes more tender thanks to the honey Dijon dressing. That same dressing soaks into the farro making it super flavorful.
I love to top the salad with my olive oil roasted almonds for a great crunch, but it’s great with grilled chicken or feta cheese too. It’s a salad that will keep you full for hours, perfect to take to work for lunches or to grab while you’re frantically making your kids’ lunches.
Make this salad with irresistible tangy-sweet honey Dijon dressing and you won’t even be missing your guilty pleasure snack…whatever that is.
Needed for this recipe:
Loving this kale salad with honey Dijon dressing?
You might like these recipes too:
- Farro Salad with Butternut Squash, Bacon, Feta, and Kale
- Kale and Pear Salad with Creamy Yogurt Dressing (top it with savory granola!)
- One Pan Quinoa with Ground Turkey, Mushrooms, and Kale
- Quinoa and Wheat Berry Salad (with kale!)
- Crunchy Kale Salad with Popcorn Shrimp
- Kale Salad with Orange, Pomegranate and Pine Nuts
- Southwestern Kale Power Salad from Cookie + Kate
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts & Kale Salad with Apple, Gorgonzola & Candied Pecans from Ambitious Kitchen
For the salad
- 6 cups loosely packed torn kale (bite-sized pieces)
- 4 cups cooked and cooled farro
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of shredded or julienned carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
For the dressing:
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked chicken, roasted almonds, or feta cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together kale, farro, bell pepper, carrots, and cranberries.
- In a small bowl or a jar, mix together vinegar, honey, mustard, olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Pour dressing over salad and mix to combine. Store in an airtight container in the fridge – this one is actually better the next day or two because the kale softens a bit.
- If desired, top with your protein of choice – I recommend almonds, grilled chicken, or feta cheese.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Husband’s take: Honestly, I’m not 100% sure he has tried this. It’s usually what I eat for lunch so maybe I should share and fill a container for him to take for lunch.
Changes I would make: None are necessary but if you don’t have farro, you could try quinoa or barley.