A homemade silky smooth chocolate pudding becomes the filling for the most delicious chocolate pie. Forget pudding from a box! Once you’ve made your own chocolate pudding pie, no other will compare!
NOTE TO READERS: Some of you have tried this recipe which was written by a contributing blogger and had varying results. We want to make sure that our recipes are perfect so, as of February 2020, we have since retested and completely rewritten the recipe. We apologize for any frustration you may have experienced with the original recipe.
We’re sure you’ll be pleased with this homestyle chocolate pudding pie! It’s absolutely delightful.
Creamy, homestyle chocolate pudding pie! Crisp buttery crust, smooth chocolate pudding, with mounds of fluffy whipped cream, and sprinkled with chocolate shavings. Such delight in every bite!
This pie is nothing like the chocolate cream pie you see in dessert cases in restaurants, or frozen pies that you thaw and eat. No comparison! Making pudding from scratch makes all the difference in this pie. If you’ve never tried homemade chocolate pudding pie, you are in a for a real treat.
About this chocolate pie
Homemade chocolate pudding is the centerpiece of this pie. Many of us default to using canned pudding or instant pudding mixes, which are fine in a pinch, especially if you’re in a hurry. I totally get that. Convenience sometimes trumps everything else.
But let me tell you, canned pudding or boxed mixes can’t hold a candle to homemade. There’s just no comparison! Once you’ve tried homemade, I can almost guarantee you won’t look back.
Is it difficult to make pudding? Not at all. The ingredients are simple and wholesome: milk, eggs, sugar, cocoa, flour, butter, vanilla. No artificial anything and most likely, every ingredient can already be found in your kitchen.
I would have to say that the hardest part of making pudding is the stirring. To make creamy smooth pudding, plan on spending 15 to 20 minutes standing by the stove stirring. Stirring isn’t difficult, we’ve all mastered that, but it does take time for the pudding to heat and thicken. So be patient, put on some good music, stir, stir, stir, and anticipate the delight of chocolate pudding pie.
How about the crust? You can make your own pie shell or use a frozen pie crust. A graham cracker or Oreo cookie crust would be sensational, as well.
You’ll want to top your pie with lots of homemade whipped cream. Fancy up your pie with chocolate shavings. Use your vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar to make perfect curlicues of chocolate. Mini chocolate chips would be great, too.
Craving more pie recipes? Try:
- Cherry Lime Galette (a galette is an informal kind of pie)
- Coconut Custard Pie
- Rustic Four Berry Pie
- Fresh Blueberry Pie (you’ll love this one and it’s so easy!)
- Yogurt Tart with Oat Crust (top with fresh fruit for a sensational summer dessert)
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie (gotta love ice cream pies)
- German Chocolate Pecan Pie from Melanie Makes
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Prepare the frozen pie crust according to package instructions. Allow to cool completely.
- In a medium sized saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, flour, salt, and egg until well blended. Stir in milk slowly until ingredients are blended.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, bring to boil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, three to five minutes, or until pudding thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into baked pie shell. If desired, cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Top with whipped cream, and chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.