Fluffy and sweet, hot chocolate dip will be a hit at your next party – all the flavors of hot cocoa in an irresistible cool dip! Perfect with Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, and graham crackers.
Why you’ll love it: This recipe is super easy to make and satisfies everyone’s sweet tooth.
How long it takes: 5 minutes
Equipment you’ll need: mixing bowl, serving bowl
Creamy and light, this chocolatey dip is a party favorite. It’s so easy to stir up, too. If you’re looking for a quick holiday appetizer, hot chocolate dip may be just the thing.
I know you all just love hot cocoa. We often make ginger spiced hot chocolate from scratch with this easy microwave recipe. With ginger or without, it’s a super easy recipe. This recipe for easy hot chocolate (with lactose-free option!) is made on the stove and you only need 4 ingredients: milk, chocolate chips, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Hot cocoa and homemade chewy chocolate chip cookies, a match made in heaven.
I started thinking, how can I make this favorite beverage into a cool creamy dip? Hmmm, let’s see, maybe using instant hot chocolate mix to flavor it, marshmallow fluff and whipped cream for creaminess and … wow! I think that’s about all we need.
This stuff is a little dangerous. What I would really like to do is to dive head-first into this hot chocolate dip and maybe just stay there for a week or two, especially during the busy holiday season. But perhaps my kids would miss me. Or maybe not. I better not tempt fate.
I know that I’ll be making this dip for the next party I host. It’s the perfect sweet treat for parties: ready in about five minutes and always a hit. Plus, kids love it. At least mine do.
P.S. Have you had a chance to try hot cocoa bombs? Kids are blown away by these Pop Rocks Hot Cocoa Bombs! Oh, that pun was unintended, really! They make great gifts too. Pair them with some super fun marshmallow snowmen.
About this dip
Before we get started, I’d just like to clarify. This is not a warm dip. The name can be a little bit misleading. It’s not HOT chocolate dip (a heated chocolate dip) but “Hot Chocolate” Dip, like the beverage we all love to sip on in the winter months. If you like warm chocolate, try Slow Cooker Chocolate Fondue.
This dip incorporates all the yummy goodness of a mug of steaming hot cocoa including the gooey marshmallows, only it’s cool and creamy. Add crisp cookies or crackers to dunk in the “hot chocolate” and you’ve got a real treat.
I’ll give you a quick overview of the recipe here but keep reading for the printable recipe card. It’s near the end of the post and has complete instructions and nutrition information.
What You’ll Need
- Whipped Topping: You’ll need an 8 oz. tub of whipped topping (Cool Whip is one brand) which is usually found in the freezer section of the grocery store. Thaw it for a few hours or overnight in the fridge before making this recipe.
- Marshmallow Fluff: This is sold in plastic tubs or jars and is shelf-stable (does not need to be refrigerated).
- Hot Cocoa Mix: You’ll need a half cup which is equivalent to a 3 oz. package. Choose your favorite brand.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Mini Marshmallows and Mini Chocolate Chips: These are optional but add a decorative and flavorful touch to the dip. These are fun little tiny marshmallows.
How To Make This Dip
Okay, this is pretty easy. Make sure your whipped topping is thawed. The best way to do that is to take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge overnight.
Add the whipped topping, marshmallow fluff, hot cocoa mix, and vanilla to a mixing bowl. I like to use a small silicone scraper. It works great to get every last bit of the whipped topping and marshmallow fluff out of the containers.
Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients. The marshmallow fluff can be pretty sticky. You can also stir it by hand if you’re feeling energetic.
Scrape the hot cocoa dip into a decorative bowl and arrange mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips on top. It’s also fun to serve the dip in a large mug.
Serve the dip with your choice of cookies, pretzels (that sweet/salty combo!), or fruit.
If you’re feeling fancy, before you put the dip in the serving bowl, gussy up the bowl like the one in the photos. Simply melt white chocolate and dip the rim of the bowl in, and then add chocolate jimmies.
Boy, that’s really up to you. Everyone seems to have their favorite. I have a weakness for Ghirardelli. Some mixes are gluten-free or dairy-free if you’re looking for those qualities.
Marshmallow fluff is made differently than marshmallows. It contains corn syrup, sugar syrup, dried egg whites, and vanillin. Marshmallows contain corn syrup and gelatins. They cannot be used interchangeably in most recipes, including this dip recipe.
For more about the history of marshmallow fluff, check out this fun Marshmallow Fluff website. Did you know it’s been around since 1917?
Leftover hot chocolate can be refrigerated for 2-3 days and reheated in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove.
Creative uses for leftover hot chocolate: Substitute leftover hot chocolate for the milk in pancake or waffle mixes. Use hot chocolate to make oatmeal. Pour leftover hot chocolate into popsicle molds and freeze for “hot chocolate popsicles”!
Make It Your Own
As always, recipes are made to have fun with! Listed below are some fun variations to make this recipe your own.
- If you can’t get enough coffee in your life (me neither!), add a teaspoon of espresso powder for a mocha flavor.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the hot chocolate dip for Mexican hot chocolate dip.
- Stir in mini M & Ms, crushed candy canes, Heath bars (toffee), or any other goodies you like.
- Omit the hot chocolate mix and substitute 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon for a snickerdoodle or churro flavor.
- Just a thought: Wouldn’t this dip be great for churros or snickerdoodles? Forget the graham crackers and pretzels, I’m going for the good stuff!
- Serve with strawberries and other fruit instead of cookies or crackers.
Hot chocolate dip can be stored in the fridge for up to four days in an airtight container.
More Sweet Dips
- Cherry Dip with Lime – With a cream cheese base and topped with canned cherries.
- Peanut Butter Apple Dip with Cream Cheese – this popular dip tastes like caramel apples, only better!
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Tiramisu Dip Recipe – so easy, it can be made in 10 minutes!
- Vanilla Bean Yogurt Dip
- Raspberry Cheesecake Yogurt Dip
- Honey Ricotta Dip from Well Plated
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip from How Sweet Eats is one of my favorites!
- 1 container (8-ounce) whipped topping (thawed if frozen)
- 1 jar (7-ounce) marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup hot cocoa mix (equivalent to one 3 oz. packet)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows for topping
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for topping
- In a large bowl, add whipped topping, marshmallow fluff, hot cocoa mix, and vanilla. Fold together until well incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Scrape the dip into a serving dish or large mug, and top with mini marshmallows and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Serve chilled with your favorite cookies like Oreos, graham crackers, chocolate chip cookies, etc. Dip will keep in the refrigerator for four days in a tightly covered container.
- Nutrition information does not include garnishes or dippers.
- To get the sprinkle-lined bowl, melt ¼-⅓ cup white chocolate chips with about ½-1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave in 15-second increments until smooth. Line the bowl with the melted chocolate and add the sprinkles. You may want to do this over a large plate to catch any sprinkles that fall. Set the bowl in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes before adding the dip.
- If you want more marshmallows or chocolate chips, incorporate them into the dip in addition to topping the dip with them. Use about ⅓ cup mini marshmallows and about 2- 2 ½ tablespoons of the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.