Slow Cooker Chicken Kale Soup – healthy & flavorful!
Slow cooker chicken kale soup simmers all day for a healthy, hearty dinner that’s ready when you are. It’s packed with lean chicken, lots of leafy green kale, cannellini beans, and loads of flavor.
Do you eat all the vegetables and fruit that researchers tell you are essential for good health? The American Heart Association recommends that at minimum we should be eating at least 5 servings of veggies a day and 4 servings of fruit. I’d guess that most of us don’t achieve that goal on a daily basis. I know I probably don’t.
This slow cooker chicken kale soup will get you on the right track for good nutrition because there’s lots of kale in it — 6 cups, plus carrots, onions, celery, and tomatoes. And because it’s so delicious, you’ll find yourself rejoicing in how easy it is to eat all those vegetables.
Plus, crockpot chicken kale soup is a snap to make. Simply put everything in the slow cooker, turn it on, and forget about it. It’ll be ready when dinner time rolls around.
About this slow cooker chicken soup with kale:
Easy to make, with lots of healthy protein, white beans, and good-for-you veggies … what’s the catch, you might ask. No catch, just plain good cooking.
Pile everything into your slow cooker and let it work its magic! Shortly before serving the soup, remove the chicken breasts to a plate, cool slightly and shred the meat. Put it back into the slow cooker and mix it in. Add a splash of red wine vinegar for a touch of acidity to brighten the flavor.
What’s in this healthy slow cooker chicken soup?
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (use thighs if you prefer)
- Kale (lots of it, 6 cups!)
- Carrots, celery, onion, garlic
- Canned cannellini beans (or any other white beans)
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf, dried thyme, salt and pepper
- Red wine vinegar
Is it okay to put raw chicken in the slow cooker?
Oh, for sure! This soup cooks for hours so the chicken will be safely cooked. However, once you put the raw chicken and all the other ingredients in, get the cooking started immediately. You don’t want to let it sit on the counter a couple of hours before you turn it on.
How to make this healthy crockpot soup your own:
- Vegetarian? Simply omit the chicken. There’s plenty of protein in this soup without it.
- Omit the beans for a keto and Whole30 friendly soup.
- A tasty alternative to carrots is sweet potato, peeled and diced.
Storage and Reheating Tips
This chicken kale soup recipe makes a big batch, about ten servings. The good news is that it’s great reheated the next day, either in the microwave or on the stovetop. Healthy chicken kale soup soup makes a wonderful lunch!
It can be frozen for up to month, too. For best results, thaw it overnight in the fridge and reheat gently.
Soup is a perfect way to eat a bunch of veggies all at once. Try:
- Vegetable Soup (7 vegetables in this one!)
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Turkey Quinoa Chili (under 400 calories!)
- Italian Sausage Stew with White Beans and Kale
- Slow Cooker Minestrone with Quinoa
- Ground Turkey Soup with Beans and Spinach (20 minutes!)
- Chicken Barley Soup with Kale and Butternut Squash
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Vegan African Peanut Stew by Budget Bytes
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups lightly packed, roughly chopped kale (about one bunch)
- 2 cups sliced or diced carrots (3 medium carrots)
- 1 ½ cups sliced or diced celery (3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped onion (one medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cans (15.8 oz.) cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, preferably no-salt added
- 1 ¾ teaspoons coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
- Add all ingredients, except red wine vinegar, to 6-quart slow cooker, making sure chicken is submerged in liquid.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken to plate, cool slightly, and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to crockpot.
- Add one tablespoon red wine vinegar, stir well, and taste. Add more vinegar, salt, and pepper if needed.
- Use any white bean, such as cannellini, great Northern, or navy beans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 28g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.