Italian Sausage Stew with White Beans and Kale
Healthy, quick, and delicious comfort food. Is there anything better? This Italian Sausage Stew with white beans, kale, and homemade croutons is dinnertime perfection!
Major comfort food alert! Bonus, it’s made in under 20 minutes. Depending on what kind of comfort I’m craving, I might not want to be slaving in the kitchen over an elaborate meal. Sometimes I do crave that kind of comfort, the comfort of spending hours in the kitchen, creating amazing food just because I want to.
But the comfort I crave most these days is the comfort of a quick, healthy, easy meal after a long, tiring day. Something that doesn’t come from a box or can but will have me out of the kitchen and relaxing with my family, stat. Something that doesn’t make a hundred pans dirty. Something warm, hearty and filling.
This recipe fits the bill in every single way.
I’m teaming up with Red Gold Tomatoes again to bring you this warm, comforting sausage stew. After visiting their farms and canning facilities, I’ve become more confident of the quality of the tomatoes each time I pick up a can of Red Gold Tomatoes. For this recipe, I use the petite diced tomatoes – I want them approximately the same size as the beans, carrots, and sausage. They are the perfect addition to this Italian sausage stew.
I’m sitting in the library right now writing this post (I have a couple of rare kid-free hours thanks to my mother-in-law!) and I can’t help but crave this stew. It’s calling my name. It could be the homemade croutons which are like kryptonite to me, but I think it’s just the combination of the zesty sausage (I use sweet Italian but if you like it hot, go for spicy!), the creamy white beans, chewy kale, and sweet tomatoes.
Oh, but the croutons. Don’t skip the homemade croutons. They soak up a little of the juice in this sausage stew while remaining crispy and perfect.
Is it becoming evident that I have a crouton problem?
I think our dinner plans for tonight may have just changed.
Used in this recipe:
Craving more soups and stews to warm your soul? Try:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 20 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 4 firmly-packed cups of torn kale leaves (bite-sized pieces)
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) Red Gold petite diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 can (15 ounce) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth (more if desired)
- Garnish: homemade croutons, fresh parsley, grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and Italian sausage. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking up sausage, until sausage is browned and cooked through and onions are translucent. Add kale and continue to stir and cook until kale is wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, beans, and broth and cook until heated through. If you desire the stew to be more soup-like, add more broth.
- Serve garnished with croutons, fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
- This stew can be served immediately or you can let it simmer awhile until you're ready to serve it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 812mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 27g
Husband’s take: He adores this sausage stew. He’d probably be annoyed that I used the word adores because it’s not very manly. But he doesn’t read my blog. Ha. (Watch, this will be the day he decides to start reading. I love you, Ben!)
Changes I would make: None!
Difficulty: Easy, and done in 20 minutes.
Disclaimer: This Italian Sausage Stew with White Beans and Kale was created in connection with Red Gold Tomatoes. Red Gold compensated me for the time required to create this recipe and share it with you. All opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting my blog by reading about brands I use and love in my own home.