Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (and filling!)
These banana cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting are the perfect combination of banana and chocolate. The sweet filling inside makes them extra special.
Over 25% of kids diagnosed with cancer do not survive because of lack of effective therapies.
Do I have your attention now?
I’m teaming up with OXO (they aren’t paying me, but more on that in italics at the end of this post) to bring you these cupcakes and help defeat kids’ cancer.
Everyone has different opinions when it comes to religion, politics, etc. but I think there is one thing we can all agree on:
I mean…what the heck?
These cupcakes are one of my favorite recipes. I made them even more decadent by hollowing out the middle using OXO’s cupcake corer and filling them with chocolate cream cheese frosting. The more, the better, right? The cake itself is extremely moist and the combination of banana and chocolate is an obvious winner. So much so that it is the second time this week that I’m talking about it. Sorry about that. (Not really.) We’ll just all eat banana cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting and live happily ever after.
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is an organization founded by two OXO employees inspired by their two-year-old’s battle with cancer. I can’t even begin to fathom what that would be like. I can’t even handle my kids having a cold. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer uses the simple concept of local events like bake sales to raise money to fund research for pediatric cancer research. Consider buying one of the specially marked baking tools — OXO will donate 25 cents for every sale to fund research.
Speaking of cupcakes, I can’t wait to try these Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes!
Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (and Filling)
These banana cupcakes are the perfect combination of banana and chocolate. The sweet filling inside makes them extra special.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- about 4 cups powdered sugar
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer (you may also use a hand mixer), combine dry ingredients of cupcakes. Add in wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Once combined, increase mixer speed to medium and beat for three minutes.
- Divide evenly between 24 prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly in tins before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, use OXO Cupcake Corer to gently remove centers of cupcakes, being careful not to cut all the way to the bottom. (Use a twisting motion.)
- Prepare frosting by beating all ingredients together with electric mixer until smooth and slightly fluffy. Using a piping bag, pipe frosting into hollowed out cupcakes and into a pretty pile on top. Serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve.
Disclosure: OXO sent me some great cupcake making tools including the one in some of the photos. In return for this post, they are donating $100 to Cookies For Kids’ Cancer, a recognized 501c(3) public charity. 100% of proceeds raised by Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fun pediatric cancer research. Thanks for supporting OXO and this charity by reading my blog. Please consider buying some of the specially marked tools to contribute (and get some great tools for your kitchen!).