Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (and filling!)
These banana cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting are the perfect combination of banana and chocolate. The sweet filling inside makes them extra special.
Over 25% of kids diagnosed with cancer do not survive because of lack of effective therapies.
Do I have your attention now?
I’m teaming up with OXO (they aren’t paying me, but more on that at the end of this post) to bring you these cupcakes and help defeat kids’ cancer.
Everyone has different opinions when it comes to religion, politics, etc. but I think there is one thing we can all agree on:
I mean…what the heck?
These cupcakes are one of my favorite recipes. I made them even more decadent by hollowing out the middle using OXO’s cupcake corer and filling them with chocolate cream cheese frosting. The more, the better, right?
The cake itself is extremely moist and the combination of banana and chocolate is an obvious winner. We’ll just all eat banana cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting and live happily ever after.
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is an organization founded by two OXO employees inspired by their two-year-old’s battle with cancer. I can’t even begin to fathom what that would be like. I can’t even handle my kids having a cold. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer uses the simple concept of local events like bake sales to raise money to fund research for pediatric cancer research.
Speaking of cupcakes, I can’t wait to try these Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes! Have you tried my Carrot Cake Cupcakes with cream cheese filling? So good! For easy cupcakes that you don’t have to frost or fill, try these Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes. The filling is baked right in.
Enjoy the banana and chocolate combo?
You can’t go wrong with that combination! Try these favorite recipes:
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- about 4 cups powdered sugar
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer (you may also use a hand mixer), combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add mashed bananas, buttermilk, shortening, eggs and vanilla; mix on low until combined. Once combined, increase mixer speed to medium and beat for three minutes.
- Divide evenly between 24 prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly in tins before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, use OXO Cupcake Corer to gently remove centers of cupcakes, being careful not to cut all the way to the bottom. (Use a twisting motion.)
- Prepare frosting by beating all ingredients together with electric mixer until smooth and slightly fluffy. Using a piping bag, pipe frosting into hollowed out cupcakes and into a pretty pile on top. Serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve.
- If you don't have a cupcake corer, try one of these methods instead: Insert the tip of the piping bag into the cupcake and pipe in the filling. You won't be able to fit as much filling in. OR use an apple corer to make a well in the center of the cupcake. OR use a small sharp paring knife to cut a cone shaped hole in the center of the cupcake. OR don't fill the cupcakes. Simply pile the frosting on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g