Mini Frittatas with Spinach and Red Pepper
These mini frittatas will be perfect at your next brunch or even for breakfast tomorrow. Or my personal favorite, breakfast for dinner!
Frittata. I’m not even kidding you, every time I spell this frustrating word I have to look it up.
Frittata or Fritatta. They both look good, right? My WordPress spellchecker doesn’t like either one of them, so maybe we should just throw them both out. But my WordPress spellchecker also doesn’t like “buttercream” so we don’t want to go throwing things out all willy-nilly.
The funniest part is that WordPress wants to correct Fritatta (the incorrect spelling) to “irritating.”
You’re right, WordPress. It is pretty irritating.
These mini frittatas are so flavorful, so fun and so easy to make! Even my daughter who hates scrambled eggs eats these fun egg cups. She loves spinach lately, so maybe that is a factor.
I can’t wait to use this recipe for a fun brunch or maybe even for breakfast tomorrow. I use half egg whites to lighten these up a bit and add a great fluffy texture.
They have so much flavor from the vegetables and a little sharp cheddar. If cheddar isn’t your thing (umm…we need to talk)…you could substitute other cheeses. I think feta or Parmesan would be a great twist.
You can also easily customize these based on what you have in your fridge or what vegetables you like. I like these sausage and broccoli mini frittatas. You could even do a few different flavors in one muffin tray to satisfy any picky eaters in your family.
Mini frittatas make a great meal-on-the-go. Make a bunch of them to last all week. No more drive thru breakfasts–these are so much better. Use the money you save to buy a really nice dinner out sometime. Consider it my treat!
Craving more frittatas?
Try these on for size (no pun intended):
- Turkey Sausage and Broccoli Egg White Frittata Muffins
- Asparagus and Leek Frittata
- Egg White Frittata with Spinach and Green Chiles
- White Pizza Frittata
- Egg Muffins with Sausage and Broccoli (similar to a frittata)
- Cheeseburger Frittata from She Wears Many Hats
- Asparagus Frittata from Simply Recipes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- about 3 cups loosely packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or spray a tin for 12 muffins.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. When hot, add peppers and onions and saute until softened, about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and stir gently until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, skim milk, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared muffin tin so that each one is about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Add sauteed vegetables evenly to each of the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. Leave in muffin tin for about 5 minutes before removing and serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 mini frittatas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 149mg Sodium: 364mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 16g
Changes I would make: None are necessary, but like I mentioned, it would be fun to play with different flavors.