Chicken Lettuce Wraps
About these chicken lettuce wraps
Even though the list of ingredients looks kinda long, don’t be intimidated. These wraps are really easy to make.
Begin by very briefly sautéing minced garlic and fresh ginger. Add ground chicken and finely chopped mushrooms, and sauté until the chicken is done. Dump in 4 cups of finely shredded cabbage (or use pre-made coleslaw mix), chopped canned water chestnuts, and chopped green onions. Stir fry until the cabbage begins to wilt.
Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and Sriracha to taste. Stir well and heat through. Remove from heat, stir in chopped cilantro and your filling is ready. That wasn’t hard at all!
Make the dipping sauce if you want. It’s not totally necessary because the filling is really flavorful on its own. This dipping sauce is simply soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, honey, and fresh ginger stirred together.
Assemble the lettuce wraps. I like to use Bibb or butter lettuce because the leaves are just the right size for lettuce wraps. You could use Romaine or iceberg lettuce, too. Chopped peanuts or more cilantro are great garnishes. I like to serve them with crispy wonton strips.
If you’re serving chicken lettuce wraps as an appetizer at a get-together, you’ll probably want to let people make their own. Or not, it’s up to you.
Make Ahead Tip
Prepare the filling and sauce up to 3 days in advance. Refrigerate in tightly covered containers until ready to serve. Reheat filling in skillet on stove or in microwave until warmed. Serve as directed.
- 1 teaspoon oil (canola, avocado, or grapeseed work well)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups coleslaw mix or thinly shredded cabbage
- 1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained, and finely minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, or to taste
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1-2 heads Bibb, butter, Romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- chopped peanuts for topping, optional
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil, garlic and ginger. Saute for about 30 seconds, and then add ground chicken, chopped mushrooms, and kosher salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up chicken as it cooks, until chicken is cooked through. Drain excess juice from pan if necessary.
- Add cabbage/coleslaw, water chestnuts, and green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, until cabbage just starts to wilt.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and Sriracha to taste. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- To prepare dipping sauce, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine.
- To serve, carefully separate lettuce leaves. Place chicken mixture in the leaves and serve with sauce and chopped peanuts, if desired.
- Makes approx. 5 cups of filling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 lettuce wraps
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1373mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 19gProtein: 22g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Changes I would make: No changes necessary!