This orange hot chocolate recipe is easy to make – you’ll be sipping flavorful, rich, creamy hot chocolate in less than 15 minutes.
Why you’ll love this orange hot chocolate
- Indulgent Treat: January – it doesn’t have to be all about salads. There is nothing better, NOTHING better than warming up with some hot chocolate after being out in the snow. Hot chocolate is a perfect beverage following snowman building and snow angel making.
- Fun to Share: I have a small mug, a little bigger than an espresso mug, that my daughter drinks cocoa out of. It’s such a special treat and she just glows and smiles ear-to-ear when she gets to enjoy a cup of cocoa with her mom and dad.
- Quality Ingredients: We’re not talking about a packet of powder that you open up and mix with water here. Oh no no. This is the good stuff. Creamy milk, slowly warmed and then poured over high-quality dark chocolate. If you’re going to treat yourself to hot cocoa, make it worth it.
- Unique: This particular hot chocolate is made extra special thanks to a few strips of orange peel. The orange and chocolate combination works so well together. The orange brightens things up just enough to prevent this beverage from feeling too rich.
Make it your own
I add a bit of powdered sugar to my cocoa. Depending on the type of chocolate you use and how sweet you like your cocoa, you may be able to omit the sugar … or you might want to increase it a touch. You can always add more but you can’t remove it, so start with a small amount and work your way up from there according to your tastes.
More Warm Drinks
Looking for more creamy drinks to keep you warm all winter long? Try:
- Easy hot chocolate (with lactose-free ideas)
- Ginger spiced hot chocolate
- Hot white Russian recipe
- Pop Rocks Hot Cocoa Bombs — if you’ve heard all the buzz, you’ll want to try these hot cocoa bombs!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2-3 strips of orange peel (try to get as little of the white part of the orange as possible
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (I used 72%)
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, shaved chocolate, orange zest
- Combine milk, sugar, orange peel in a small sauce pan and place over medium heat.
- In a small bowl break the chocolate up into small pieces.
- Stir milk frequently and heat until hot but not boiling. Pour hot milk over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
- Serve topped with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and orange zest.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.