One Pan Rigatoni with Creamy Red Wine Tomato Sauce
A weeknight dinner dream come true! A complete meal in one pan. This one pan rigatoni is filling, comforting and full of flavor.
This post is in partnership with Holland House – thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about brands I use in my own kitchen!
One pan pasta, people. This method of cooking pasta is a game changer (I know I’m literally the last one to do this but I’ve never been one to jump on trends). I may never go back to the traditional way of cooking pasta in boiling water.
Spaghetti with meat sauce is always a go-to easy weeknight meal, but it makes so many dishes dirty! One for sauce, one for pasta, a colander to drain the pasta. And that’s without any side dishes. Say you roast some broccoli to go with it. That’s another dirty pan. The sink is starting to fill up with dirty dishes and all of a sudden your easy weeknight meal became kind of a pain in the you-kn0w-what.
This pasta gets ONE PAN dirty. Only one! You can still roast that broccoli to go with it – but line the pan with foil and then you’ll still only be at one pan. Or don’t line the pan with foil and you’re still down at least two dirty dishes – no colander for the pasta and only one pan for the rest of the show.
I use turkey Italian sausage in this recipe. It’s a nice switch up from plain ground turkey because it packs a lot of really great flavor into this one pan rigatoni before you even add any other ingredients. It also gives you some flexibility. We like to use sweet Italian sausage but if your family likes things a little spicier, get the spicy version of Italian sausage.
More flavor is added with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, oregano and garlic. Cooking the rigatoni right in the tomato mixture along with chicken broth gives this pasta dish an extra punch of flavor.
Last but not least, for creamy richness, stir some cream cheese into this pasta. It’s one of my favorite twists on a traditional tomato pasta sauce. Adding cream cheese is easy to do and it adds such a great richness and creaminess to the pasta.
What more can I say? You’re all going to love this one pan rigatoni recipe! It’s a perfect quick weeknight meal and it also translates smoothly into entertaining.
PS: It’s done in 30 minutes.
Used in this recipe:
Looking for more quick and easy pasta recipes? Try:
- Chicken and Spinach Pasta with Creamy Lemon White Wine Sauce
- Tortellini with Creamy Sundried Tomato Sauce
- Healthy Chicken Stroganoff (in 30 minutes!)
- Taco Pasta (made in one pan)
- Pizza Pasta (20 minutes, one pan)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Pasta with Shrimp, Brussels Sprouts and Wine Sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 19.5 ounces turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup diced onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup diced red bell pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 16 oz. pkg. pasta (I recommend Rigatoni)
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil to garnish, optional
- In a large, deep pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage, onion, bell pepper and cook, breaking up sausage, until onions are translucent and sausage is cooked through. Add garlic and cook for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, wine, chicken broth, and oregano. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a high simmer (medium/medium-low) and add pasta. Stir to combine and push pasta down into sauce, Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until pasta is al dente.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted and combined. Serve topped with fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
Sweet or spicy Italian sausage, that’s up to you! We like sweet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 772mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 29g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.