Loaded with chicken and Monterey Jack cheese, you’ll love these easy and delicious chicken enchiladas verde.
With tender shredded chicken, lots of melty cheese, soft tortillas, and an easy verde (green) sauce, your family will love these. You can have them on the table in about an hour, and half of that is hands off time while they bake in the oven. I’ve made them super easy with a purchased jar of salsa verde and precooked chicken.
This casserole is perfect for a quick dinner when you’re tired after a long day at work. In fact, if you have a more leisurely morning, you can easily assemble it, put it in the fridge, and bake it when you get home in the afternoon.
You guys are going to love these chicken enchiladas so much. They are easy and delicious. Enjoy!
About chicken enchiladas verde
The recipe calls for three cups of cooked shredded chicken. Deli chicken is fine or leftover chicken (or turkey) works great. I like to buy a family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs and cook them all up in my Instant Pot so I always have shredded chicken on hand in the freezer.
Instead of traditional corn tortillas, I use flour tortillas. Either choice would make delicious enchiladas!
Sauté onions to add to the filling. You could also sauté spinach, or even add corn. Simply roll the filling in the tortillas, line them up in a baking dish, drizzle with sauce, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for thirty minutes until the filling is warm and the cheese is melted. So yummy!
I like to serve these with a dab of sour cream and additional cilantro. Chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, or diced avocado would be great, too! Serve with tortilla chips and homemade salsa or pico de gallo. Maybe even a frozen sangria slushie or a cranberry margarita.
What will I need to make chicken enchiladas?
- Cooked shredded chicken
- A jar of salsa verde (or homemade salsa verde)
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Flour tortillas (or corn, if you prefer)
- Fresh cilantro
Make Ahead Tip
Make chicken enchiladas a day ahead and refrigerate before baking. Bake as directed. Or refrigerate after baking, and reheat the next day.
More favorites from south of the border
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (see note)
- 2 cups (16 oz. jar) salsa verde, divided
- 16 oz. grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Sour cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup salsa verde on bottom of pan.
- In small frying pan, sauté onions with small amount of olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix shredded chicken with 2/3 cup salsa verde, 1 1/2 cups cheese, scant 1/4 cup cilantro, sautéed onions, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap tortillas in two paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds so that they are soft and easier to work with.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into a tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until you are out of filling. Drizzle enchiladas with remaining salsa verde (about 1/3 cup) and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Spray a large sheet of foil with cooking spray and use that to cover the baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for five more minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro, let stand for a few minutes and serve, topped with sour cream, if desired. One serving is 2 enchiladas.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.