Southwestern Macaroni and Cheese with Ground Turkey
This Southwestern macaroni and cheese with ground turkey makes for a quick and easy meal that your entire family will love!
Ever have one of those days where you just need a quick and easy solution for dinner? Something that everyone will like, something that doesn’t make too many pans dirty, and something that comes together fairly quickly.
Or maybe one of those days is actually more like every day. That’s what I’ve been feeling like lately. Don’t know if it’s the weather or what, but I’m just not in the mood to create some elaborate dinner that my kids won’t even like. I want a sure thing. Something everyone will devour.
I always have a few boxes of macaroni and cheese on hand for lunches but also for quick dinners. But it’s always fun to mix it up a little and do something different with the macaroni and cheese. That way the kids and the adults are happy with dinner.
I like to go the southwestern route. I pair the Horizon ClassicMac™ Macaroni and Cheese with cooked ground turkey, my favorite homemade taco seasoning, black beans, and some peppers and onions. If you happen to have leftover taco meat in the freezer or fridge, that would be great, too. Once it’s all combined, I stir in some extra cheese to up the cheesy goodness of the southwestern macaroni and cheese.
Macaroni and cheese is always a favorite!
Here are a few more recipes you may enjoy:
- two 6 ounce boxes of Horizon® ClassicMac Macaroni & Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 4 tablespoons Horizon® Organic Butter
- 1/2 cup Horizon® organic milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- one 20-ounce package of ground turkey breast (extra lean)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced small (about a cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small (about a cup)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (more to taste)
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Horizon® Mexican organic finely shredded cheese
- 3 green onions (more to taste), thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, prepare Horizon macaroni and cheese according to box directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey, red onion, and red bell pepper. Saute, breaking up turkey, until turkey is cooked through and onions are translucent. Stir in black beans, taco seasoning, prepared macaroni and cheese, and shredded cheese until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
Husband’s take: What dude wouldn’t love this cheesy delight?
Changes I would make: None are necessary but have fun with toppings! Dress it like you would a taco — cilantro, sour cream, salsa, even some shredded lettuce would be great on top of this southwestern macaroni and cheese.
Difficulty: Quick and easy!
Enjoy Horizon Mac & Cheese as a versatile meal and keep your family happy. Try different vegetables in the dish to promote alternative uses of Horizon products or let your imagination take over.
Horizon is a pioneer in the organic industry. Every choice they make is carefully considered with National Organic Program (NOP) guidelines in mind. Horizon Mac & Cheese is made with these guidelines and the happy family in mind. For more information, visit Horizon’s website for more information.
*This conversation is sponsored by Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.