Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe – HOMEMADE!
A homemade silky smooth chocolate pudding becomes the filling for the most delicious chocolate pie. Forget pudding from a box! Once you’ve made your own chocolate pudding pie, no other will compare!
Hello, Rachel Cooks readers! I’m Melanie from Melanie Makes and I’m thrilled to be back this month sharing another sweet treat. I promised you delicious pie and cake recipes and this Chocolate Pudding Pie is one of my absolute favorites. To me, everyone has a signature recipe that they’re known for. Something that if you could only request one thing for them to make again and again, you know exactly what it would be without hesitation. This pie? This is my mother-in-law’s signature recipe.
I’ve loved this pie since the very first time a slice was set in front of me. Way back when my husband and I were first dating and I went home with him to his parent’s house the first time. Even now, when my in-laws come to visit, my mother-in-law knows that the key to my heart is this Chocolate Pudding Pie and she usually offers to make one for us to enjoy. I have yet to turn down this offer and usually request that she makes two pies – one for me and one for the rest of our family!
Your favorite frozen deep dish pie crust – I love the ones that you can find at Aldi and always stock up when they’re available – is baked and then filled with the most luscious chocolate pudding filling. The pudding for this pie was actually a recipe created by my husband’s grandmother and is absolutely divine! When a slice is topped with clouds of whipped cream and chocolate shavings, it won’t take long for you to see why I refuse to share!
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Prepare the frozen pie crust according to package instructions. You’re simply baking it to prepare it for the filling. Allow to cool completely.
- In a medium sized saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, flour, salt, and egg until well blended. Stir in milk slowly until ingredients are blended. Over medium heat and stirring constantly, bring to boil (takes about 15 minutes) and then immediately remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. (makes 3 cups)
- Pour into baked pie shell. If desired, cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Top with whipped cream, and chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 8g
CRAVING MORE PIE RECIPES? Make sure to check out these: Cherry Lime Galette, Rustic Four Berry Pie, Fresh Blueberry Pie, Yogurt Tart with Oat Crust, or Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie and German Chocolate Pecan Pie from Melanie Makes.