Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddies)
This puppy chow recipe is one that will quickly become a favorite — and there’s a (small) fun twist to make it even better!
Puppy Chow. Muddy Buddies. Where do I begin with my love for these?
Actually, if we’re being honest, I have a love-hate relationship with anything with powdered sugar on it.
I love it because, well, it’s powdered sugar.
I hate it because, well, IT GETS EVERYWHERE! EVVVVERYWHERE. Don’t even get me started on the kids eating stuff like this (They don’t. I do it in hiding.). Even making any recipe that involves powdered sugar is bound to end up with a major disaster requiring a lot of cleaning.
But…it’s powdered sugar. So it’s really worth it.
And when it’s paired with crispy cereal, chocolate and peanut butter — well, I’d clean up pounds of the stuff if necessary. This is what snacking is meant to be. Finger licking good. Literally.
I developed this recipe is a follow up to my Pumpkin Pie Muddy Buddies — and I gotta say, I think I like this version even better than its seasonal sister.
Okay, I go off the grid a teensy tiny bit if we’re being real. I saw CHOCOLATE Chex cereal at the store and couldn’t resist adding a little more chocolate goodness to this snack. Not at all necessary, but more chocolate is never, ever, ever a bad thing. Ever.
I made this puppy chow for my son’s 1st birthday party. I threw him a “Winter ONEderland” party and the puppy chow attended disguised as “little snowflakes.” They fit the part pretty well, don’t you think? I served them up in little snack cups to cut down on the mess a little bit, and they were a huge hit. How could they not be?
Do we need to review? CHOCOLATE. PEANUT BUTTER. POWDERED SUGAR.
I have a box of that Chocolate Chex calling my name right this very minute, actually. And the great part is, this puppy chow is incredibly easy to make.
About puppy chow
I melt the chocolate in a small saucepan, but you could easily do this in the microwave as well. Just make sure to melt your chocolate slowly so that you don’t overheat it. I typically melt in 30 second intervals. But for our friends who don’t have microwaves – it’s easy to do on the stovetop as well.
So melt that chocolate and peanut butter, toss the cereal in it and then throw the whole shebang in a bag full of powdered sugar. Shake-shake-shake and you have puppy chow.
You should probably go ahead and do that right now.
You can head on over to Food Fanatic for the Muddy Buddies recipe — or you can also grab it here. Enjoy!
- 8-9 cups (14.25 ounce box) rice cereal squares (Chex cereal)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Pour powdered sugar into a large resealable plastic bag and set aside. Pour cereal into a large bowl, and set that aside as well.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate, peanut butter and butter until chocolate chips are melted and everything is combined. OR melt together in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring well each time.
- Remove from heat and pour over cereal. Toss together with a spoon or spatula until all cereal is coated. Let set for about 5 minutes to cool slightly. Pour chocolate coated cereal into the bag with powdered sugar, seal and toss until everything is coated. Spread onto a sheet pan to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Substitute plain rice Chex if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.