Steak Salad with Orange-Honey Dressing
This steak salad with orange honey dressing is healthy, flavorful and a cinch to make. You’ll love the orange honey dressing drizzled over the steak and salad.
This is from Real Food magazine, one of my favorites. The recipes are approachable and use easy to find ingredients. The recipe is under a category titled “Cooking for One,” but this recipe is extremely easy to convert to feed more people.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eye of round steak, fat trimmed (4 ounces)
- course salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium orange, peel and pith removed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small heart romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small carrot, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 small stalk of celery, thinly sliced
- In a small skillet (I used a cast iron grill pan), heat 1/2 teaspoon oil over medium high (I didn’t do this because my choice of pan did not require it). Pat steak dry, season with salt and pepper and cook until medium rare, 6 minutes, flipping halfway through
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Working over a medium bowl, cut out orange segments, then squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from the membranes. Whisk in honey and 1 teaspoon oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Add lettuce, onion, celery, and carrot and toss to combine.
- Transfer salad to a plate and top with steak. Serve immediately.
- Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe depending on how many people you'd like to serve.
- This salad would also be great with grilled chicken or sauteed shrimp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 796mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 21gSugar: 32gProtein: 37g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: Skeptical at first, preferring a large steak served with mushrooms and a pile of rice, rather than piled up on a bunch of vegetables, but he always ends up really liking it. I really pile the steak on his.
Changes I would make: None are necessary, but you could try it with grilled chicken or shrimp instead of the steak.
Difficulty: Really easy!