Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- Heat oven to 400*F. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups with shortening, spray with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- In large bowl, beat milk, applesauce, and egg with fork or wire whisk until well mixed. Stir in apples. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and flax seed all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. (At this point, I added cinnamon sugar to the top of each muffin to create a delicious crispy top).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 20) or until golden brown. If baked in greased pan, let stand about 5 minutes in pan, then remove from pan to wire rack; if baked in paper baking cups, immediately remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm if desired (is there any other way to eat them?).
adapted from: Betty Crocker Cookbook (p. 67)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 122mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 11g Protein: 4g
Difficulty: Very easy.