Cooking Tip: Freezing Quinoa

Freezing Quinoa

If you like quinoa, or if you have tried these pancakes, freezing quinoa will make your life much easier. Cook a whole bunch of quinoa as directed on the package, cool, and seperate (I recommend measuring into one or two cup increments) into freezer bags. That’s it! I believe I cooked two cups of dry quinoa for a yield of approximately 8 cups cooked quinoa. The pancake recipe calls for one cup, but I doubled it…so this would a lot of pancakes! You could have some warm quinoa with fresh herbs, a bit of lemon juice and olive oil as a side for dinner and freeze what ever is left. Then, when you get the craving for hot quinoa cakes in the morning, just remember to throw a bag of frozen quinoa in the fridge to thaw overnight. This eliminates the longest step in the process of making the pancakes. I am all about saving time. If you’re making quinoa, might as well make a bunch, right!?! It would be fine revamped into a side dish as well; I don’t think it loses much flavor or texture in the freezing process.

I like to squish mine flat for space saving in the freezer.
Have you tried this? What is your favorite quinoa recipe?

12 Responses to “Cooking Tip: Freezing Quinoa”

1. Diana @ VeggieNextDoor — June 8, 2011 at 2:19 am

Yes – freezing grains is a great tip. Whenever I make too much rice and put it in the fridge it gets dry and inedible. I only recently realized “duh – sometimes I buy frozen rice, why not freeze my own!”. Once I re-heat it, its soft & fluffy again!

2. Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — August 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

Oooooh, what a great tip! I make dishes with quinoa ALL the time but have never thought to cook it, freeze it, and have it ready when I want to use it. Brilliant. Thanks!

3. tanya — January 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been freezing brown rice and googled to see about freezing quinoa – glad to see you’ve tried it and liked it!

I’m single so cooking for one, and I freeze my brown rice in 1/2 cup servings using 4 oz mason jars. Going to give that a try with the quinoa tonight!

• Rachel Gurk — January 29th, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

Great! I hope it works out well for you. One of my favorite tricks.

4. Rachel Y — June 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Hi, may I ask how do I thaw frozen quinoa besides using microwave? Can I just leave it to thaw on the counter? Thanks!

• Rachel Gurk — June 5th, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

I usually just thaw mine overnight in the fridge. You could definitely do it on the counter though for a few hours. Microwave should work too, actually! :)

• Rachel Y — July 9th, 2013 @ 11:43 pm

Hi Rachel,

I am just wondering if I could do the same with millet (cook a batch> freeze it> thaw on counter top)?

Thanks!

5. Rachel Y — July 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hi,

Can I ask if i could do the same for millet? Thanks!

1. Pingback: Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers and Southwestern Quinoa Casserole | Not Rachael Ray

2. Pingback: Vegetarian Quinoa Black Bean Chili | Not Rachael Ray