Honey lemon shortbread cookies are perfect for a girly event like a baby shower but even the most manly-man will devour these cookies.
I am so excited to be teaming up with a whole bunch of food bloggers to throw a surprise virtual baby shower for Liz of The Lemon Bowl. Liz is a good blogging friend who helped with the planning of Taste of MI.
Liz is also one of the most positive, encouraging people I know (it’s almost annoying sometimes…kidding, Liz!). She also isn’t afraid to give you a reality check/wake up call when you need one. And I think that’s what true friends do.
Today we’re celebrating! Liz is having her second baby boy! I cannot wait to meet this little guy and see if he is as cute as his big brother (no doubt in my mind, he will be!). Liz is a great mom and she is going to have so much fun watching her two boys play together and grow close.
Having two kids is the most amazing thing ever, Liz. It’s so special to watch your kids develop such unconditional love and affection for each other. And now I’m going to cry.
Love you, Liz. Congrats!!!
For Liz’s shower, we asked everyone to make a recipe that included lemon as a recipe. It was an easy theme to come up with!
I made honey lemon shortbread cookies for the shower. You’ll enjoy the rich buttery goodness of these indulgent cookies. Honey and lemon are a match made in heaven! The sugar on top gives the cookies such great texture and crunch. Plus, they are slice and bake cookies which are so convenient. Simply freeze the dough until you’re ready to bake them.
Shortbread cookies are so good!
I love that you can freeze the dough and slice off what you need when you’re ready to bake them! Try:
- 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup honey, plus extra for brushing cookies (2-3 tablespoons)
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling on cookies before baking
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar for about 3 minutes or until light in color and fluffy. Add 1/4 cup honey and lemon zest and beat until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add flour mixture gradually and continue to mix until just combined.
- Move dough onto a large sheet of wax or parchment paper and shape into logs (about 2 inches in diameter). Roll up in parchment or wax paper and freeze dough overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350°F. Take dough out of the freezer and cut slices off that are about 1/4-inch thick. Place on parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheets.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of honey in microwave for 10-15 seconds. Brush over cookies and immediately sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden brown. Let cool about 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.