Pepperoni Pizza Tortilla Pinwheels
These fun pepperoni pizza tortilla pinwheels make a great appetizer or school lunch. Your kids will think they have hit the jackpot when they open their lunchbox and see these!
This will be the first year that one of my kids attends school for a full day. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little scared at the thought of packing a lunch five days a week! When E was little, she really ate whatever I gave her but she’s become far more picky as she has gotten older.
A turkey and cheese wrap or macaroni and cheese always goes over well but that gets old day after day. Oh ,and my little princess doesn’t like leftover macaroni and cheese, only fresh. Although she’ll eat it leftover if she doesn’t see me pulling it out of the fridge. Funny how things like that work out, isn’t it?
I think I’ll try making some tortilla pinwheels like these or my southwestern cream cheese roll ups. The great thing about them is that you can make them in advance and slice off what you need as you’re prepping lunches. And you can serve them with dipping sauces, and what kid doesn’t love that? I served these with pizza sauce which seems like an obvious choice.
I hope these give you some lunchbox inspiration but they’re also great for entertaining. If you’re like me, when you’re prepping for a party, you’re always looking for ways to prepare things in advance. These are better if you make them a day in advance and then all you have to do is slice and serve!
Looking for more fun twists on pepperoni pizza?
- one (8-ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sliced pepperoni
- 3-4 flour tortillas (taco size)
- for dipping: pizza sauce
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, basil, oregano, garlic, mozzarella and pepperoni. Spread this mixture onto a tortilla all the way to the edges in an even layer (you’ll use about 1/2 cup for each tortilla). Tightly roll up tortilla with the filling on the inside. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat until all tortillas are filled and rolled.
- Place wrapped rolls in fridge and chill for at least 2 hours. Use a very sharp knife to slice into pinwheels, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
Serving size: 1/2 of a tortilla (about 3-4 roll-ups)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 534mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g
Husband’s take: Ben isn’t a huge cream cheese fan so these weren’t his favorite. His loss!
Changes I would make: None are necessary but you could definitely play around with these and add some of your favorite pizza toppings with the pepperoni or instead of the pepperoni.