Lemon Poppy Seed Cottage Cheese Pancakes – with video
These Lemon Poppy Seed Cottage Cheese Pancakes start your day with protein and flavor! They’ll quickly become a new breakfast favorite.
I was going to call these “lemon poppy seed pancakes with a secret ingredient,” but I’ve never been good at keeping secrets.
The secret ingredient is cottage cheese.
And it’s delicious.
About these cottage cheese pancakes
I pureed cottage cheese and added it to the pancake batter to create protein-packed, perfectly moist pancakes. I’m not sure I’ll ever make pancakes without cottage cheese ever again!
And let me tell you this – my kids LOVED these cottage cheese pancakes. My protein-hating, picky son who only gets protein from milk and eggs loved these pancakes. Sneaky mommy, happy kid. Everyone wins.
And can we talk about lemon poppy seed for a second? The classic combination is perfect for breakfast and just what we need as the winter months drag on…and on…and on….
We had 2 days of warm weather. One of those days was filled with gusty winds that would definitely blow my 3-year-old away. So, one day. One day of warm weather. And then back to cold. Michigan is such a tease.
But it was nice to have a reminder of what is to come. Walks outside, sunshine and being able to leave the house without having to put 12 layers on each of the kids before stuffing them into their carseats.
Lemons give me the same gentle reminder of warmer days and refreshing flavors. I can’t wait to squeeze a lemon over some chicken breasts and grill up some chicken tawook. Or squeeze some lemons into a pitcher of refreshing lemonade.
In the meantime, lemon poppy seed cottage cheese pancakes.
Used in this recipe:
Want more pancakes?
ME TOO. Try:
- Buckwheat Pancakes
- Apple Spice Quinoa Pancakes
- Quinoa Power Pancakes
- Classic Quinoa Pancakes
- Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
- Boston Cream Pie Pancakes
- Bananas Foster Pancakes
- Brown Sugar Pancakes from Grandbaby Cakes
- 2 Ingredient Cream Cheese Pancakes from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Apple Fritter Pancakes from Crazy for Crust
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a blender, combine eggs, cottage cheese, vanilla, canola oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and poppy seeds). To the dry ingredients, add the blended wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat – grease or spray if needed. Drop batter by about 1/4 cup amounts onto the preheated skillet. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side (will depend on the heat of your skillet) or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately.
serving size: 2 pancakes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
Husband’s take: Ben and the kids loved these cottage cheese pancakes.
Changes I would make: None are necessary.