Almond Mocha Granola

Coffee not cutting it? Need a little extra boost today? Well, I have you covered with this granola. It packs an espresso-punch.

I never liked coffee until I started graduate school. Weird how those two things went together, right? Now I can’t get enough of the stuff. It is going to be hard when I get pregnant again, or if I decide to do a juice cleanse again. Don’t come around me for a couple of days. Consider yourself warned!

Almond Mocha Granola

3 cups thick cut rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds slivers
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoon ground flax-seed
2 Tablespoons espresso powder
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, coconut, salt, brown sugar, wheat germ, ground flax and espresso powder.
2. In separate small bowl, stir together canola oil and vanilla.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
4. Spread granola in an even layer over the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake for 15-20 minutes longer until golden brown.
5. Let cool completely. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Store in airtight container.

Verdict: Tasty! I think this would be great on ice cream.
Husband’s take: He liked it but I think he preferred this granola.
Changes I would make: None. If you’re not a huge coffee fan and want that flavor to be a bit more subtle, cut back on the espresso powder a bit.
Difficulty: Easy!

Enjoy! And drink an extra cup of coffee with this. It’s the right thing to do. For all the pregnant ladies in the world. (WHICH IS NOT ME–I don’t want to get my mom and mother-in-law excited!)

26 Responses to “Almond Mocha Granola”

1. Kathryn — April 11, 2012 at 5:40 am

I’m still training myself to like coffee but I love granola so much that this seems like the perfect stepping stone to a full blown caffeine addiction!

2. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 11, 2012 at 6:34 am

This is my kind of granola! Yum!

3. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — April 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

This looks so good! I make granola a lot and will give this a try next time. I looked for espresso powder once and couldn’t find it. Will give it another shot!

• Rachel — April 11th, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

I get mine at Kroger, but my mom has a hard time finding it. Let me know–I can always send you some :)

4. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking — April 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

Yum! This wouldn’t last long in my house!

5. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook — April 11, 2012 at 9:19 am

Yum! I love coffee but am crazy sensitive to caffeine, so I would use decaf. This looks so tasty!

6. Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Homemade granola is on my to-do list for baking. I love the idea of adding coffee to it! Does it really give you a little caffeine buzz? Midday I can’t handle coffee, but maybe I could do a handful of this :)

7. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — April 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

I love homemade granola! Nice job!

8. katie — April 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Oh my yet another granola recipe to try! This sounds great. Ever since going on my granola rant a few weeks ago I’ve yet to make my own. It’s on the list to be completed for this weekend!!!

• Rachel — April 11th, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Yeah–get on it! I am hooked, we almost always have it the house now.

9. Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — April 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Great recipe Rachael! I love making homemade granola, so simple and inexpensive too! Great idea on the mocha and coffee. I made one w/ pumpkin, mocha and coffee back in the fall, makes me want to make some today!

10. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos — April 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Sure enough, I’m drooling over this! YUM!

11. Tracey — April 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m not a coffee drinker, but I love coffee-flavored treats. Your granola sounds perfect!

12. Jessie — April 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

This sounds+looks so good!

13. Jennifer | Mother Thyme — April 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I always have a jar of homemade granola in the pantry and it just so happens that I am in need of whipping up another batch so I am anxious to give this a try! :)

14. Aggie — April 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Oh this would be soooo good on ice cream!! I love homemade granola so much, have to try this recipe!

15. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — April 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I love granola but I haven’t ever made it. This is definitely one I would love! Great photos too!

16. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — April 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

Yum yum…I’m not a coffee fan, but I think this would still be a great breakfast treat. :) (I’m alllll about the chocolate.)

17. Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — April 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh my goodness – I love this!! Yet another recipe I HAVE to try!

18. Bree — April 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I want this for breakfast tomorrow!

19. DessertForTwo — April 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm

What a great idea, putting espresso powder in granola!

20. staci — January 14, 2013 at 12:13 am

Looks incredibly delicious and I can’t wait to try it! I spy, with my little (fat-lovin’) eye: at least two kinds of chocolate chips and sliced almonds instead of slivered :) I can’t believe I had never heard of thick rolled oats before your recipe! I love steel cut, but just went and bought some Bob’s thick cut (Amazon.com) so I can make your recipe.

Yum. And Thank You :D

• Rachel — January 14th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it. I use Bob’s Red Mill thick cut oats as well. And you caught me, using up the ends of packages of chocolate chips.

And I can never keep slivers and slices straight. Always get confused. You caught me again. ;)

• staci — January 18th, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Yaaaay! Got me Bob’s Red Mill thick cut oats today – coolio… !
        I’m sorry, yup, I’m anal and was just wanted to make sure I was going to make exactly what you have pictured because it really does look awesome and this will be the first time in my (ahem, over 50) life to make granola :D *not trying to bust you or anything, lol!*

1. Pingback: Cinnamon Flax Granola - Rachel Cooks