Chicken and Kale Casserole

by Rachel Gurk on March 28, 2013 · 15 comments

in Main Dish, Poultry

Chicken-Kale-Casserole-text

You all know that I believe in the mantra “everything in moderation,” and I believe in balance.

In other words, you gotta have a little CHEESE with your kale. Can I get an “Amen?”

This chicken and kale casserole fulfills that requirement. Plenty of cheese, plenty of pasta, but plenty of kale and lean protein too. My husband loved this dish (and he’s not a huge cheese fan–aka crazy), and my daughter ate it too.

Well, she didn’t actually eat the kale–just the pasta and chicken. But she’s a two-year-old who dips jicama sticks in hummus so I’m not worried. We’ll get there.

Chicken-Kale-Casserole-3-600

When I make a recipe, I try to type it up immediately into a Google doc so I don’t forget any important steps. At the bottom of this recipe, I added this note: ”You may prepare ahead of time and store in fridge until ready to bake. This would be a great meal to prepare for another family (illness, baby, etc.), because everything is cooked, and all they need to do is warm it through.”

The crazy thing is, I didn’t remember that until I was finishing up this guest post for Meagan of A Zesty Bite and inserting the recipe. I didn’t realize how perfect it was. Now I just need someone to actually make this and drop it off at Meagan’s house for me. Meagan’s mom has had a brain tumor for a number of years and they just found out that  the tumor doubled in size and turned from a benign tumor to a grade 4 glioblastoma. While Meagan is spending this precious time with her family, I wanted to help in the only way I knew how–by providing some content for her blog. Head on over there for the Chicken and Kale Casserole recipe.

Chicken-Kale-Casserole-2-600

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! March 28, 2013 at 8:41 am

Cheese is definitely a must! This combination sounds great. Love love love easy weeknight meals like this!

2 Tieghan March 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

This combo is great! I love kale and those cheesy noodles are calling my name!! Excites to go check the recipe out!

3 Cassie | Bake Your Day March 28, 2013 at 9:25 am

This sounds so good, Rach! I love kale and I love how creamy this looks.

4 Nutmeg Nanny March 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

This pasta dish looks great! I’m so sorry to hear about Meagan’s mom. I’m off to show some love!

5 Samantha @FerraroKitchen March 28, 2013 at 11:22 am

First of all…Amen! haha Even though I’m doing this weight watcher thing, I am NOT giving up REAL eggs with yolk (yes people freak out about it) and cheese! haha so I totally agree!! :)

6 Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats March 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm

This sounds so great Rachel!! I love it!

7 Bree {Skinny Mommy} March 28, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Absolutely my kind of dish-lots of veggies, lots of cheese, and lots of carbs. YUM!

8 claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 29, 2013 at 9:53 am

Love me some casserole comfort food!

9 Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) March 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Oh that is so very sad :( I just started following her blog and love it… that must be so hard. I remember the abundance of casseroles that showed up at my house when my Dad died and while it was kind of funny seeing them all stacked up like that, it really did help my family not have to worry about cooking food all week. And this would be an amazing thing to bring as well.

10 carrian March 29, 2013 at 5:19 pm

She’s totally a great eater even though she skipped the kale. That’s awesome!

11 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 29, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Such a great weeknight meal idea! This looks so scrumptious, Rachel!

12 addie | culicurious March 31, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Looks great. Anytime I can get kale and cheese in the same dish, I consider it a victory! :)

13 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’ve never eaten kale, but I just bought some for green smoothies. I want to make this pasta!

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 2 trackbacks }