I’m also obsessed with popcorn and chocolate chips but that’s an entirely different issue.
This granola has a subtle vanilla flavor but it definitely there and is a perfect way to start the day. As always, I also think granola is great over ice cream.
This was the conversation between my husband and myself when he came home from work and saw this cooling:
Him: “You made chicken feed?”
Me: “It’s granola.”
Him: “Oh I LOVE that stuff!”
Me: Laughs and shakes head. Gotta love him.
Vanilla Bean Granola
3 cups thick cut rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1 tablespoon ground flax-seed
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
the pulp of two vanilla beans
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, coconut, salt, brown sugar, wheat germ and ground flax.
2. In separate small microwavable bowl, stir together canola oil and vanilla. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Add in vanilla bean pulp and whisk with a fork to separate beans.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
4. Spread granola in an even layer over the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake for 15-20 minutes longer until golden brown.
5. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up chunks.
6. Store in airtight container. Makes approximately 5 cups.
Verdict: Crunchy, sweet, perfect.
Husband’s take: He loves granola for breakfast. He mixes it with Rice Krispies. Yeah…I don’t get it either.
Changes I would make: None.