Almond Vanilla Bean Granola

Am I obsessed with granola? Perhaps. Do you mind? If you’re a traditionalist, I have Pecan Almond Granola. If you’re a caffeine addict, there’s the mocha granola.

And now, Vanilla Bean Granola. Because I’m also obsessed with vanilla beans. Exhibit A, B, CD and E.

I’m also obsessed with popcorn and chocolate chips but that’s an entirely different issue.

This granola has a subtle vanilla flavor but it definitely there and is a perfect way to start the day. As always, I also think granola is great over ice cream.

This was the conversation between my husband and myself when he came home from work and saw this cooling:

Him: “You made chicken feed?”

Me: “It’s granola.”

Him: “Oh I LOVE that stuff!”

Me: Laughs and shakes head. Gotta love him.

Vanilla Bean Granola

3 cups thick cut rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1 tablespoon ground flax-seed

4 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
the pulp of two vanilla beans

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, coconut, salt, brown sugar, wheat germ and ground flax.
2. In separate small microwavable bowl, stir together canola oil  and vanilla. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Add in vanilla bean pulp and whisk with a fork to separate beans.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
4. Spread granola in an even layer over the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake for 15-20 minutes longer until golden brown.
5. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up chunks.
6. Store in airtight container. Makes approximately 5 cups.

Verdict: Crunchy, sweet, perfect.
Husband’s take: He loves granola for breakfast. He mixes it with Rice Krispies. Yeah…I don’t get it either.
Changes I would make: None.
Difficulty: Easy!

30 Responses to “Almond Vanilla Bean Granola”

1. Kathryn — April 25, 2012 at 6:21 am

So with you on the granola and vanilla bean love – why haven’t I thought of combining them before? I must whip up a batch this weekend!

2. Blog is the New Black — April 25, 2012 at 7:09 am

OMG…. this looks TO DIE FOR!

3. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 25, 2012 at 7:20 am

This is such a yummy breakfast idea! Yum!

4. Smart Food and Fit — April 25, 2012 at 7:34 am

Looks stellar! Love simple ingredients! Wish you lived closer to help me with my National Food Blogger and Baker bake sale in Canton, MI this weekend to raise money for Share Our Strength – No Kid Hungry campaign!

5. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — April 25, 2012 at 9:00 am

Mmm, my favorite granola is a vanilla-flavored one–this looks delicious! Do you think I could up the extract a little if I don’t have any vanilla beans? (I know that’s the whole point of the recipe, but…yeah. Life.)

• Rachel — April 25th, 2012 @ 9:03 am

The amount of vanilla extract is already increased a little, but yeah…you could probably add more. But you should get vanilla beans. :) It’s a different better kind of vanilla bean flavor. Vanilla paste would be a better substitute, if you have that.

6. Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — April 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

This looks awesome and I love your husbands response! Chicken feed!! haha!!

7. Julie @ Table for Two — April 25, 2012 at 9:53 am

it’s ok to be obsessed with granola :) I’m obsessed too and I love the flavors in this..your hubs is so funny with his responses hahaha

8. Rachel @ The Henway — April 25, 2012 at 10:16 am

I just found a local source for vanilla beans so I am excited to try this recipe!

9. Kelly Senyei — April 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

This looks so simple and spectacular – I love adding granola to yogurt for a bit of crunch. And I also add it to banana bread :)

10. Cassie — April 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

I think vanilla beans are one of my favorite smells in the world. Can’t wait to try this!

11. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 25, 2012 at 12:42 pm

This granola looks wonderful! I love vanilla beans too! Oh, so heavenly!

12. amanda @ fake ginger — April 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Love this! I think I have everything but the almonds – I think I might make it with pecans later today. The kids would love it!

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

YUm!!! This is my kind of granola!

14. The Food Hunter — April 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Loving this granola…fresh vanilla beans make such a difference.

15. Elizabeth — April 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

This looks like it would taste great with some chocolate!

• Rachel — April 25th, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

What wouldn’t? ;)

16. Jamie — April 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Awesome! Making another batch of granola is on my to do list for tomorrow so this is perfect timing!

17. Baking Serendipity — April 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I’m obsessed with granola too! And vanilla beans! I love the two together :)

18. Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — April 26, 2012 at 7:57 am

I love how simple but beyond tasty this is! They sell almond vanilla granola in the store for an outrageous price and probably half the taste. So glad you shared this so I can make my own at home!

• Rachel — April 26th, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Let me know how you like it! :)

19. Deborah — April 27, 2012 at 10:28 am

I keep saying that I’m going to start making my own granola. This sounds awesome!

20. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — April 28, 2012 at 4:59 am

I keep saying I’m going to make my own granola but I haven’t done it yet. This photo is screaming to me! Looks great.

21. Karriann — April 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Simple and delicious! I could have this every morning :)

“Spice it Up”

22. Jenny @ BAKE — April 29, 2012 at 4:49 am

what an amazing combination!

• Rachel — April 30th, 2012 @ 8:43 am