Summer Squash Pancakes with Creamy Goat Cheese Dressing
Garden fresh summer squash pancakes topped with a blissful creamy goat cheese dressing that’s both tangy and sweet. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or “brinner”!
I’m sure you all know Brandy of Nutmeg Nanny. She has guest posted here twice (three times now!) and she has also been featured in my “a day in the life” series. Brandy is a great friend, has unbelievable skills in the kitchen and she is so much fun to chat with.
To get a feel for Brandy’s great content, check out these posts:
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Honey Spiced Glazed Chicken
Baked Blueberry Oatmeal
Pomegranate & Lime White Wine Spritzer
I’m so happy to be back on Rachel Cooks! This pancake party is a blast and I’m so happy to be included! Now, onto the deliciousness!
When I grew up we had a massive garden in our backyard. We generally grew the same things each year – tomatoes, snow peas, beans, cabbage, lettuce, onions, carrots, popcorn, sweet and spicy peppers, watermelon, musk melon and, of course, zucchini and yellow summer squash.
The thing about growing your own garden is there is a point during the summer where you have so much produce it starts overtaking your life. There is only so many squash your neighbors will take before they start running back inside their house when they see you. Plus, there is only so much chocolate zucchini cake one family can eat.
That is where these summer squash pancakes come in handy. They really switch things up. You can use either yellow summer squash or green zucchini, whatever you happen to have.
Pancakes give a new twist to the squash overload baking extravaganza. Especially when they are drizzled with creamy goat cheese dressing. Oh, yes. I just said that – creamy goat cheese dressing. It is amazing.
I like to pair the pancakes with a small fresh green salad and hot capicola for a full meal. It makes a great brunch meal or even a delicious light summer dinner.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @rachelcooksblog on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 cup shredded summer squash or zucchini, lightly packed (about 1 ½ medium sized squash, or 8 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Vegetable oil
- 2 ounces fresh creamy goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a food processor or box grater, shred your squash. Add squash to a medium-sized bowl and add shallots, egg, flour, baking powder and spices.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and drop batter into oil (about 2 tablespoons) and fry until crispy on both sides.
- Top with goat cheese dressing and serve with salad and hot capicola.
- In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until creamy.
- If you notice the batter start to get runny, just add a little more flour. The longer the batter sits the more water the squash will give off.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Leave a Review