Rounds of tender squash, baked to perfection, roasted delicata squash will become your favorite. The skin is completely edible, too.
This recipe isn’t complicated, folks. And it is good tasting and good for you.
If you’d like to learn more about cooking squash, be sure to check out my comprehensive guide with 17+ recipes.
Did you know you can eat the skin of this squash even after it is roasted? It is thin and tender! Give it a try, it’s one of the few winter squash that you don’t have to peel, and you have to love that.
Make sure to thoroughly clean it–with a brush if you have one. Unless you like to eat dirt. I won’t judge.
Slice the squash into rounds (aren’t they kind of fun?), drizzle with olive oil, and pop them into the oven. If you line your baking pan with parchment, you won’t even have to wash a pan.
To change it up a little, have some fun with spices. Add a pinch of cinnamon, or cayenne. The squash would be great with a drizzle of real maple syrup or balsamic reduction. Experiment!
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Scrub the outside of the squash with a brush until very clean. Cut ends off to create two flat edges. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices, keeping the size of the slices consistent.
- Rub, toss, or spray with olive oil so both sides of each slice are coated with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place in preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Flip each slice over and roast for another 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Both cooking time and yield will depend on the size of the squash.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.