Enjoy this tasty sweet popcorn snack mix with lots of healthy surprise ingredients thrown in.
Jolly Time Pop Corn asked me if I wanted to write a post about their popcorn.
Hmm…let me think about it for a half of a second.
So yeah…you all know how I feel about popcorn. And I made this incredibly delicious popcorn snack mix with it.
Popcorn is traditionally known as a healthy snack. But let’s be real, typically
we I load it up with butter and salt.
That’s why it tastes so good.
…this is a popcorn snack mix that you can feel pretty good about. Sure, it has a little sugar, a little salt, a little fun stuff, but it has some really “good for you” stuff in it too.
The JOLLY TIME Pop Corn itself is made with the Smart Balance unique blend of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and saturated fats. It comes in Butter and Butter Light flavors, both of which taste great!
Now, if you really follow Rachel Cooks closely, you probably know that I typically go for air-popped popcorn (pssst–you can also buy JOLLY TIME Pop Corn kernels to air pop). But let’s be real, I don’t discriminate and I love having some microwave popcorn in the pantry on hand for when the craving strikes.
Such as while I write this post. With a certain red heart-shaped bowl in front of me. Funny how that works out.
The nice thing is, I feel good knowing that this particular bowl of microwave popcorn contains no artificial flavorings or colors, in addition to Smart Balance’s healthier blend of oils.
PS: Fun facts: JOLLY TIME Pop Corn is a family owned company that was the first branded popcorn ever produced (nearly 100 years ago!). They use GMO-free popcorn and their products are gluten-free.
Yay for that! Getting back to the popcorn snack mix, I get a little wild. I throw in dried cranberries, dried plums (ehh-hmm…prunes), almonds, dark chocolate M&M’s (I can’t stop eating them), and chia seeds!
Yes, chia seeds. I’m kind of weirdly addicted to them too. I’m having fun adding them in unusual places, like this pizza sauce.
Then I coat the whole mixture in smooth white chocolate to help it all stick together. It’s a great snack with some really good nutritional value (although, still a treat to be enjoyed in moderation).
This snack mix could easily be customized too. Swap out cranberries for cherries or raisins for the dried plums. Don’t have dark chocolate M&Ms? Use milk chocolate. I promise it is still going to taste awesome.
More Popcorn Snack Mix Recipes:
- 1 bag of Jolly Time Butter Microwave Popcorn made with Smart Balance, popped according to package
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons diced dried plums (prunes)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almond slivers, toasted
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate M&M candies
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper or silpat mat. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together except white chocolate. Mix melted white chocolate with other ingredients, stirring so that everything is coated. Spread onto prepared pan and let harden.
- Break into pieces, Best served immediately but may be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Substitute any dried fruit of your choice.
- Substitute air popped popcorn.
- Substitute another kind of nut for the almonds.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Husband’s take: He loves it!
Changes I would make: None are necessary!
Difficulty: Super easy.
Post contains affiliate links.