Orecchiette with Chicken Sausage, Mushrooms and Leeks
This orecchiette pasta dish will have your whole family smiling, with the flavors of mushrooms, leeks and chicken sausage. Complete in 30 minutes!
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of quick, easy meals that the whole family will love. That’s kinda what Rachel Cooks is all about.
This isn’t my first go-around with taking chicken sausage and teaming it up with pasta to make a quick meal. It’s just a no-brainer. Chicken sausage in the fridge, pasta in the pantry. All you need are some veggies, a little bit of sauce action and dinner is ready. It couldn’t be easier, or more fun. I love creating a meal from pasta and whatever happens to be in the fridge.
You’ll love this combination of orecchiette, mushrooms, leeks and white wine. Very subtle, light flavors but together with the chicken sausage and some whole wheat pasta, these ingredients make for a filling and nutritious meal. And did I mention easy?
Have you tried using reserved cooking water from the pasta to make a sauce? This starchy water, mixed with a little white wine and Parmesan, makes a delicious sauce for this orecchiette pasta dish.
Did you know?
Orecchiette means “little ears” in Italian. Be sure to try this fun ear-shaped pasta. It perfectly cradles the sauce. Pronounce it “ora-ketty”.
Craving more pasta?
Try a recipe from my collection of 15 one pot pasta recipes. Or try one of the recipes listed below:
- Instant Pot Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Spinach
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup with Noodles
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
- Homemade Hamburger Helper (with macaroni)
- Orecchiette with Chanterelles, Brocollini, Frisee and Pancetta from Lemons & Anchovies
- Orecchiette with Morel Mushrooms and Ramps from Leite’s Culinaria
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, cut into thin slices (half moons) and cleaned
- two 12 ounces packages of thick cut sliced mushrooms
- one 12 ounce package of chicken sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound whole wheat Orecchiette pasta
- reserved pasta cooking water
- Heat oil and butter in a very large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and saute until starting to become translucent, or about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sausage and continue to saute until mushrooms are nearly cooked through, or about 8 minutes. Add wine, and reduce for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook pasta as directed on the package. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water before draining.
- After the wine has reduced, turn heat to low and add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Add chicken sausage mixture to cooked and drained pasta, adding some of the cooking water as necessary for a light sauce to come together. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 919Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1107mgCarbohydrates: 114gFiber: 19gSugar: 6gProtein: 53g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: I think he likes this even more than I do.
Changes I would make: None are necessary. For a fantastic soup, throw the leftovers into some chicken broth! Yum!