Today’s “a day in the life” is the absolutely adorable Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking. Gaby is insanely talented and definitely a blogger I looked up to when I first started blogging. And now I get to call her one of my blogging buddies. Right Gaby? Right? Right? Hmmm….
Enjoy getting to know Gaby and if you don’t already frequent it, make sure to check out her blog.
Tell me about yourself and how you started food blogging.
Let’s see…. I started my food blog about 6-7 months after I graduated college back in 2008. I was in culinary school down in Los Angeles and I really wanted a place to showcase what I was learning… so What’s Gaby Cooking was born! And I’ve been at it ever since. After graduating from culinary school and spending a little time in pastry school (I dropped out halfway through – I didn’t love it as much) I started working as a private chef for some super fabulous celebrities and families in LA! Most notably, Jessica Simpson.
I worked as a private chef for about 4 years and was working on What’s Gaby Cooking at the same time! About a year ago, I left the private chef world and went full time food blogger! I dabbled in food styling for a few years during that time period too!
This past year, 2013, I came out with my first cookbook Absolutely Avocados!
I live in Los Angeles with my husband and my cat! (yes I’m a total cat lady!) I spend my days developing recipes for my website and numerous commercial clients. And I take every opportunity I can to grab my passport and hit the road! I’m a big time adventurer, and love exploring new countries and cultures all over the world.
- 7:30 AM: Wake up/check emails from bed
- 7:45 Time to get up! Plus clean the apartment and make breakfast for my husband. I have a piece of avocado toast a big cup of mint tea!
- 8:00 Head into my home office and tackle any emails, update the blog, spend some time on social media and cross promote any awesome content that I find that morning.
- 9:00 Time to hit the gym! It’s either Soul Cycle, a run, pilates or yoga!
- 10:00 Depending on the day, I’ll either hit up my local farmers market or Whole Foods and stock up on groceries for that days recipe testing. I’ll also grab a greens juice from my local juicery! Love my drinkable greens.
- 11:00-ish home, unpack, make a plan of attack in the kitchen and get to work! I’ll stop and check emails, hop on social media, and have some serious solo dance parties while I’m in the kitchen.
- 1:00 Lunch! Usually something simple like yogurt and a banana or a bowl of quinoa with salsa and avocado.
- 1:30 Meetings, conference calls, blog work, photo editing from the day before, etc
- 3:00 Back into the kitchen to re-test anything that needs some more love and then it’s time to get into photography. The best light hits my apartment from 3:30 – 5:00 so I spend that time prepping my shots so I can knock out a few different shoots in a given day.
- By 5ish I’m wiped, so I take a break, call my friends, FaceTime with my parents up in Seattle, or veg out in front of the TV.
- 6:30 Depending on what I cooked that day, I’ll either re-heat it for dinner and make something else so it’s ready by the time my husband comes home around 7ish.
- 7:00 Dinner!!
- 7:30 Back to emails – I try to clean out my inbox on a daily basis, so I’ll respond to any emails that I can before I park it on the couch and watch any number of TV shows! Housewives, Grey’s, Scandal, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Revenge, etc. The list goes on and on and on and on. Trust me.
- 9:30/10: Bed time!
What is your one must-have kitchen tool or gadget?
I’m currently obsessing over my spiralizer! It’s been my best friend in the kitchen since I got it this summer. Zucchini Noodles, Carrot Noodles… omg I’m obsessed!
What is the most important part of your day? Why?
Working out and dinner with my husband! Working from home and for myself means that I’m always working. I wake up and immediately start working, go to bed and quickly respond to any last minute emails, etc…. so when it’s time to do something for myself I really take advantage of that.
What is your favorite part of your day? Why?
Developing a really awesome recipe! I get really excited when I finally perfect a recipe!
What is your LEAST favorite part of the day? Why?
Doing the dishes! Ugh, I make sure a mess. And who actually likes washing dishes? Someday I’d like to have 2 dishwashers so I can just load them up and run giant loads of dirty dishes J
If you could choose one room in your house to spend the WHOLE day in, which room would it be? Why?
We live in an apartment, so we only have a handful of rooms to begin with… but if I had to pick it would be my bedroom. The light in that room is fantastic! And we have the most comfortable bed ever.
If you could choose one room in your house to remodel (on an unlimited budget!) which room would it be and why?
The living room! I’ve always dreamed of getting a big oversized white couch and having all reclaimed wood mix and matched furniture! Plus lots and lots of fresh flowers from my local farmers markets and a really beautiful shabby chic style chandelier!
What is your favorite day of the week? Why?
I really dig Wednesdays! The Santa Monica farmers market takes place Wednesday mornings and I ride my bike down to the beach and do a bunch of shopping! Being in the food industry means I get to go a little early, so that’s a fun perk!
If you had to choose one place to travel to every year, where would it be? Why? Have you been there before?
Africa! Particularly the southern area so I could go on safari. And no, I haven’t been yet – but 2014 is looking promising.
If you could travel anywhere in the world for free, where would you go and how long would you stay?
Antarctica, on a National Geographic Expedition. We did a Nat Geo trip to Alaska this past summer and it was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I’ve been dying to get down to Antarctica ever since we got back.
What is your favorite cookbook?
Besides mine :) I really love Plenty by Yotam Ottelenghi
What recipe on your blog are you most proud of?
My Guacamole Chicken Burgers are one of my favorite recipes ever!
What recipe on your blog do your readers seem to love most?
Slutty Brownies! It probably has something to do with the fact that my old client, Jessica Simpson, talked about them on Jay Leno. :)
What is your guilty food pleasure that you’re embarrassed to fess up to? Kraft Mac & Cheese? Spagetti-o’s? Canned cheese? We promise not to judge!
Oh I LOVE a good Kraft Mac & Cheese about once every year or so!
What have you learned since you began blogging?
I’ve learned that a: I love blogging! B: I’ve met some of my favorite people in the entire world through blogging. C: The blogging community is probably one of the most supportive places to work and I feel so fortunate to be a part of it.
Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in cooking or food blogging?
I say just go for it! There’s no time like the present – so just give it a go and get started! Make sure you know what you’re trying to achieve and then reach for the stars!
Thanks Gaby! Loved getting to know more about you. I cracked up when I read that you eat Kraft Mac & Cheese ONCE a YEAR. Ha! Wait til you have kids.