Coconut Sweet Potato Pancakes with Fresh Cherries
You’ll love the unique flavor combination in these coconut sweet potato pancakes with luscious dark sweet cherries.
Today’s pancakes are from Marnely (aka Nelly) of Cooking with Books. She’s got crazy talents in the kitchen and she is a great writer. And she’s the kind of friend everyone wants to have.
Let’s be honest…I rarely make pancakes at home. Actually, I never even order them at restaurants! I usually go for the more savory breakfast items like eggs Benedict or omelets, so when Rachel asked me to contribute a pancake recipe, I jumped on it. It was a great opportunity to create a unique pancake recipe and use some of this season’s fresh fruit, like cherries.
What I love about pancakes is that with a base recipe, you can adapt it to your liking and what you have in your pantry and fridge. This recipe is adapted from Betty Rosbottom’s latest cookbook, Sunday Brunch, and I wholeheartedly recommend that book if you love brunch as much as I do.
But I digress, adaptations! Here’s a list of ways you can change up a pancake recipe:
- Flours: When switching up flours, remember the gluten content. Unless you’re going gluten-free, don’t substitute a wheat flour completely with a non-gluten flour. You’ll get a completely different product, flat and unappealing. For gluten-free substitutions, check out this link.
- Sugars: Sure, granulated sugar is something we all have available, but think about using completely different sweeteners, like maple sugar, agave syrup, or even sweetened condensed milk!
- Milks or other liquids: have a dairy allergy? No problem, just use some delicious coconut milk that will intensify the flavor and remove the dairy! Feeling a little nutty? Splash in some almond milk! Don’t want any white liquids at all? Why not use your favorite fruit juice?
- Fats: Yes, butter is always better in my book. But coconut oil is amazing and oh so good for you! Try olive oil for a healthier pancake, or sesame oil for a savory pancake. Heck, how about some melted bacon fat?! Mmmm, bacon.
Those are just a few ideas of the millions of variations and combinations you can use! Be sure to get creative with your pancakes! My only advice? Get creative before going to bed..because if you’re like me, your motor skills, as well as your thinking skills, are not at their prime before coffee!
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup sweet potato flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- Stir together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients, except the water. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and slowly add the cool water. Do not overmix, lumpy pancake batter makes for fluffy pancakes!
- Scoop 2 tablespoons into heated nonstick pan and cook until bubbles start appearing at the surface. Place fresh cherries on top and flip. Cook for an extra minute and serve alongside your favorite pancake syrup, jam, or butter!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 582Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 7gSugar: 16gProtein: 16g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.