Coconut Lemon Pancakes
Escape to the tropics for breakfast with coconut lemon pancakes topped with coconut syrup and chopped macadamia nuts. Serve them with fresh pineapple slices and papaya mango juice!
Today I am excited to introduce Jennifer from Mother Thyme. Not only does Jennifer have TWIN kiddos but she also keeps up a beautiful food blog and is starting to integrate posts about home and crafts.
Hi, friends, I’m Jennifer. How would you like to escape to the tropics for breakfast today? How does Hawaii sound?
Maybe we all can’t hop on a plane to go to an exotic island with palm trees filled with fresh coconuts but whipping up a coconut inspired pancake recipe in the kitchen and setting a theme of a tropical breakfast can be just as good.
Being a mom of almost two year old twins that choose to eat with their hands most of the time, I often make a batch of warm, fluffy pancakes for breakfast. My variations of pancake recipes continues to grow and I look forward to gathering more tasty pancake recipes to try.
This recipe has become a morning favorite in our house. Then again, anything coconut is a favorite of mine. I usually make a double batch so I can freeze half. Nothing beats grabbing a few pancakes out of the freezer on a busy morning to toast and serve.
The pancakes are drizzled with coconut syrup and topped with chopped macadamia nuts. They include a burst of fresh citrus combined with coconut extract along with sweetened coconut flakes. Waking up to a warm batch of these pancakes would be perfect for any summer morning or Saturday brunch by the pool.
If you can’t find coconut syrup or if your parents didn’t just come back from vacationing in Hawaii and brought you back a bottle, I have a solution for you. Combine confectioners’ sugar with water and coconut extract. It will be more like a coconut glaze than syrup but it’s a good substitute. The other option is grabbing a bottle of this insanely good syrup on Amazon because if you love coconut as much as I do you’ll want this on your stack of pancakes.
Complete the tropical theme breakfast or brunch with a side of fresh pineapple slices and papaya mango juice for a fun tropical inspired breakfast.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon imitation coconut extract
- ⅓ cup chopped macadamia nuts for serving (optional)
- Coconut syrup for serving
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water, coconut water or coconut milk
- Splash of imitation coconut extract
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, coconut flakes, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir and make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add milk, lemon juice, butter, egg, lemon zest and coconut extract. Stir together until blended.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. Pour desired amount of batter into skillet and cook until top begins to bubble. Flip with spatula and continue to cook until cooked, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with coconut syrup or homemade coconut glaze.
- To make glaze, combine confectioners sugar, water and coconut extract. Stir until confectioners sugar is dissolved. Add more water if needed. Drizzle over pancakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 715mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 11g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.