This slow cooker chicken cheese dip with Marsala cooking wine tastes like everyone’s favorite chicken Marsala but in an irresistibly cheesy, dip form. It’s a hearty appetizer that’s going to be a hit at your next party.
This post is in partnership with Holland House – thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about brands I use in my own kitchen!
One of Ben’s favorite meals is chicken Marsala – and I have to say, I love it too. The flavors of Marsala wine, fruity and slightly sweet, with tender chicken and flavorful mushrooms is pretty irresistible. He loves this chicken Marsala pasta (I love it, too–it’s made in one pan!) and Instant Pot chicken Marsala. It’s also one of his go-to things to order when we go out for dinner. I don’t often order it because I like to try new things, but he loves ordering it. And eating it.
I was curious about the origin of chicken Marsala. According to Wikipedia, the classic Italian dish dates to the nineteenth century, when it most likely originated with English families who lived in western Sicily, where Marsala wine is produced.
The chicken breasts are pounded flat and coated with breading, fried, and covered with a delicious sauce made of Marsala wine and butter.
I wanted to turn chicken Marsala into an easy holiday dip for entertaining. It’s not as easy as cranberry salsa or say throwing some Velveeta and tomatoes with green chiles in the slow cooker for queso dip, but it’s completely doable and the extra effort pays off in major flavor.
How to make this cheesy dip:
Next, shred the chicken, and add a little extra Marsala, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and mozzarella cheese. Put all that back into the slow cooker. After those ingredients are melted together, stir in some perfectly browned mushrooms (also with a touch of Marsala!). Oh yum, these mushrooms! Stop me from eating all the mushrooms before they even get to the dip!
Leave this chicken cheese dip in the slow cooker on the warm setting until you’re ready to serve it. It can be served right out of the slow cooker or placed in a heavy crock or baking dish. It’s a thick dip perfect for spreading onto toasted French bread slices.
Chicken cheese dip with Marsala is a hearty appetizer that’s perfect for parties where you either only serve appetizers or if there’s going to be a significant amount of time between appetizers and dinner. It’s also the perfect game day appetizer, packed full of chicken and enough to satisfy even the hungriest football fans.
Looking for more warm cheesy dips?
Try one of these!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.25 pounds)
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated or cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread sliced and toasted
- Place chicken breasts, 1 cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, and dried thyme in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours and shred. Remove any excess liquid. Return chicken to slow cooker and add cream cheese, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, mozzarella cheese. Cook on low for 2 hours or until all ingredients are melted. Stir to combine.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute mushrooms sprinkled with salt and pepper until golden brown. Add 1 tablespoon Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine and cook until wine is reduced and nearly gone. Add mushrooms to dip, and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with toasted bread.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.