Chicken Sandwich with Bacon, Leeks and Gouda
Boneless skinless chicken thighs, plus only five additional ingredients, make a delicious chicken sandwich with bacon – full of flavor!
I’m continuing in my partnership with Just BARE chicken, and it’s time to talk recipes!
Just BARE challenged me to create a recipe with only five ingredients and this chicken sandwich might have a short ingredient list, but it is not short on flavor!
I baked the chicken thighs for this sandwich. I couldn’t add oil as it would have put me at six ingredients, so pan searing them would have been difficult. I could have cooked them in the bacon grease as well, but there are a fair number of steps in this recipe (despite being only five ingredients), so I wanted to simplify things by having the chicken baking in the oven while I prepared the other components of the sandwich.
Once you get the chicken baking in the oven (it’s brushed with Dijon and seasoned with salt and pepper for flavor), you’ll get started on frying up the bacon, followed by the leeks. You’ll save a little of the bacon grease to toast the ciabatta buns until they are nice and golden brown. All that is left to do at that point is to put together your sandwich and chow down!
- 6 to 8 (20 ounces) Just BARE® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut in half
- 2 medium leeks
- 3 large (3 to 4 ounces) ciabatta buns, split in half
- ¾ cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Additional Dijon mustard, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F. Arrange chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper; brush with 2 tablespoons mustard. Bake about 30 minutes or until no longer pink in center (165°F on an instant read thermometer).
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy and browned. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Trim the tough green tops from the leeks and slice them in half lengthwise. Rinse well to remove any sand or grit. Thinly slice crosswise. Heat 1 tablespoon of reserved bacon fat in large skillet; sauté leeks over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until tender. Place in a small bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon fat in skillet over medium heat. Toast buns, cut-side down, until golden brown.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread toasted buns with mustard. Slice chicken and arrange on bottom halves of toasted buns. Sprinkle with cheese (see note), then top with bacon and leeks.
- Place sandwiches under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes to melt the cheese if desired, before topping with bacon and leeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 large sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 991mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.