Cherry Limeade Pancakes
Cherry limeade pancakes, tiny bright red pancakes with a limeade dip, make a unique and festive breakfast.
If you go to Katrina’s site, In Katrina’s Kitchen, you’re sure to find tons of really fun and creative recipes. So when Katrina agreed to guest post for me today, I knew it would be something insanely creative and adorable. She did not disappoint!
Hi, I’m Katrina. Here’s the thing- I don’t really like pancakes. Actually, it’s syrup that I don’t care for. Or maybe it’s the combination of the two things together? I’ve spent a fair amount of time thinking about this so let’s look into this, shall we?
I went through a ten or twelve year phase where I couldn’t eat eggs. I ate eggs as a child and I have no idea what caused the sudden egg-hate. I was not allergic but I just could not physically make myself eat them.
So I ate pancakes. For YEARS I ate pancakes. That got so boring (much like this story) that I decided to make myself like eggs again as an adult. I started myself on deviled eggs and hard boiled eggs before I moved on to other types of cooked eggs.
It’s a good thing because this whole process saved my marriage. You see, I was newly married to a man who loved eggs and I could barely even stand cracking one open to bake a batch of cookies.
The horror! There was no way I could stand over a skillet and smell them cooking. The happy ending is that I eat eggs in all their forms now. I can even eat a pancake or two. But hardly ever with syrup; I dip mine in yogurt. Anyone else do that?
Since I am still slightly bored with pancakes, I am going in a different direction with this recipe. I love cherry limeade and these bite-sized cakes are the perfect combination of my favorite summertime drink.
Make a classic buttermilk batter and add a small box of cherry Jell-O powder. Use a small bottle to squirt little cherries onto the griddle. You’ll be able to turn out heaping plates of these tiny pancakes in no time. Add lime dipping sauce and it’s summer for breakfast! How’s that for fun!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 box (3 oz.) cherry Jell-O mix
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup cream (or milk)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (from 1 lime)
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine dip ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Jell-O powder.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Transfer batter to a bottle (if desired).
- Heat griddle to low/medium heat. Squirt small drops of batter onto griddle. Flip when tiny bubbles begin to form on the surface. Continue cooking through. Tiny pancakes take about 1 minute to cook.
- Serve with lime dip.
- I omitted the sugar from this recipe since I was adding Jell-O. You can add 1/4 cup sugar if you like your pancakes sweeter.
- If desired, make larger pancakes and serve with lime glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 647mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 10g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.