Cake Batter Pancakes
Festive pancakes made with cake mix and filled with colorful sprinkles are perfect for birthday breakfasts!
Hey there, Rachel Cooks readers! Thanks for letting me pop on over for the day!
Okay, so you know that silly rule about not eating cake for breakfast? Well, I think it’s a dumb rule. Pancakes are a perfectly acceptable breakfast food… so why not cake? I found the loophole to said “rule” while still remaining socially acceptable … Cake Batter Pancakes!
Yesterday was my birthday so I thought these pancakes were perfectly festive for the occasion! Of course I HAD to throw a sparkler on top to keep my childhood tradition going! Having a birthday two days after the 4th of July means there’s ALWAYS pretty sparklers on top of my cake! What little girl wouldn’t LOVE that?!
Anyhow, these pancakes are rich, decadent, fluffy, and well… the best solution for that dessert-for-breakfast craving! (gosh I hope I’m not the only one who gets those hankerings!). Hope ya’ll enjoy these Cake Batter Pancakes as much as we do!
Whether it’s your birthday or not, pancakes are always a gift! Try:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup multi colored sprinkles
- maple syrup for serving (see note)
- Whisk together flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk just to combine. Fold in sprinkles.
- Heat griddle to 325º-350ºF and spray with non-stick cooking spray or butter, if desired.
- Scoop 1/3 cup portions of the batter onto prepared griddle, leaving space between them. Cook until bubbles start to form and bottom side is golden brown. Flip and cook until remaining side is golden brown. Remove to a plate and cover until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
- If desired, top pancakes with this glaze: Mix together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3-4 tablespoons milk. And don't forget a sparkler!
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 904mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 13g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.