Is it just me or is this summer FLYING by?! It’s crazy!
Here’s what’s going on in our neck of the woods….
My daughter got glasses! She’s so excited about them, and being able to see, and she just looks absolutely adorable (of course I don’t have any great pictures of her with them on yet…I need to get on that!). I told her someday she’ll probably want contacts and she looked at me like I was insane. “Umm, no, Mommy, I’m NEVER going to want to stick my finger in my eye.”‘
My son is just as fun as ever and cracks us up on a daily basis. The other day we were chatting, and he tells me that he’s famous for being a ninja (obviously) but sometimes he just lies in bed and drinks coffee (also obvious, since he’s my kid).
I asked him, “Oh yeah how do you take your coffee?”
He said, “What do you mean?!….In a mug!”
To clarify, the kid doesn’t actually drink coffee (and definitely does not need it!).
My mom started working for me! That deserves an entire post of its own, though. I’m very excited about her joining the Rachel Cooks team and I can’t wait for all of you to “meet” her.
Ben still works all summer, even though he’s in education. Principals don’t get summers off, but he does 4 ten hour days instead of 8 fourteen+ hour days, so I’m enjoying every extra minute of having him home.
Listening to: Allllways listening to music. Loving this playlist right now that I created for summer beach days. Well, kid-free beach days because there are a few not-kid-friendly words in a couple of the songs. Do kid-free beach days exist? I like to listen to it while I cook, too.
We’re watching: What everyone else is watching, Stranger Things of course! I wish there were more episodes! There aren’t many things that Ben and I enjoy watching together, but we both really like Stranger Things. And apparantly the nightmares it gives us, too.
Things I’m into and/or bought lately:
- The very creatively-named Bug Bite Thing – We’ve only used this once (I’ll report back after our week at the cottage), but the reviews are so good, I had to try it. Now if only I can get my kids to not be afraid of it (if you were sitting across the table from me right now, you’d see me rolling my eyes). They come in packs of 1, 2, or 3. I got two.
- These eye gels – I haven’t tried the night time ones, but I love the daytime variety. I’ve tried a few different eye masks, but these are my favorite to help with puffy under eyes from lack of sleep or allergies.
- Party Smart – this may seem like a silly recommendation…but if you’re like me, you tend to have a few more cocktails or adult beverages during the summer. What it is about that sunshine that makes you crave a frosty beer? These help me feel great in the morning! I’m not recommending over-indulging…even with just a couple glasses of whatever drink you like, these will help you feel more like yourself in the morning. I like early morning workouts, so this is essential!
- This shimmery-sheer lip balm: I’m not a huge lipstick person, but this is just enough color and feels like chapstick.
- Completely obsessssed with this hair mask. I was having a ton of issues with my hair being dry and breaking and my stylist suggested this. I use it 2-3 times a week and it’s completely transformed my hair; it’s so much softer now. Love, love, love this stuff.
- This watch band for my Apple Watch. My friend Alissa recommended it and I love it. I have it in white…but now that I have the link open, I’m thinking I might need a couple more colors?
- Watercolor paints. Not gonna lie, I grumble a little when my kids ask to paint. But they love it, and I love that it keeps them busy for awhile. These are really vivid, fantastic watercolors.
- This clock: My son has been an early bird from the second he was born and despite all my wishing, he’s still always the first person awake in our family on weekends and summer days. I got them both one of these clocks and he’s been instructed that he can’t leave his room ’til seven…which if you ask me, is still a little too early.
Nordstrom Sale: Tell me, do you want me to share my favorites? I feel like the blogger favorites from the Nordstrom sale are a bit overwhelming and ALL we see online for the 2 or 3 weeks that it is going on. I do love Nordstrom, but if you guys aren’t interested, I won’t waste my time.
Great Summer Recipes:
- Fresh Tomato Tart – this is a new recipe and I just love it – you will too!
- Grilled Pineapple with Caramel Ice Cream – the easiest summer dessert!
- Chicken Shawarma Drumsticks – so good on the grill
- Bruschetta Orzo Salad – I’ve already made this for a BBQ we went to this summer
- Mojito Milkshake
- Whipped Feta Recipe – another great summer appetizer recipe
That’s all for now! I hope you are all having an amazing, relaxing, warm summer!