Kale Salad with Avocado and Cumin Lime Dressing
This kale salad with avocado has a great southwestern twist and is full of flavor and bright green hues. Salads don’t have to be boring!
Did everyone have a good weekend? We had a nice relaxing weekend — it felt good to not have a boatload of plans. On Saturday, I worked out, developed and photographed a bunch of recipes, took down the Christmas tree, and then had my in-laws over for dinner. Sunday was just as chill with church and lots of family time. I’m thankful for that dose of family time, because Ben has 4 late nights at work next week so we’ll barely see him at all. I think he even has to go in on Saturday.
I’m kicking off Monday with a healthy and filling kale salad with avocado — it’s the kind that you can make ahead and eat all week long. I’d recommend leaving the avocado off and adding that right before you enjoy this salad, but if a little brown avocado doesn’t bother you, go ahead and throw it all together. The lime will help a little to keep it from browning. The great thing about kale salads is that they get better with time (within reason, of course)! The kale gets softer and more tender thanks to the dressing working its magic. Another great thing about this salad is that the quinoa adds a lot of protein so it’s going to keep you full all afternoon long.
Craving more kale salads? Try:
- Kale Salad with Farro and Honey Dijon Dressing
- Kale Salad with Apples and Raisins
- Kale Salad with Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Cranberries
- Crunchy Kale Salad with Popcorn Shrimp
- Quinoa Wheat Berry Salad
- Kale Salad with Oranges, Pomegranate, and Pine Nuts
- Kale Quinoa Salad with Walnuts, Cranberries, and Feta
- Easy Kale Salad with Fresh Lemon Dressing by Spend With Pennies
- Everyday Kale Salad by Gimme Some Oven
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small bunch of kale leaves, torn or cut into bite-sized pieces (about 4 tightly packed cups)
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 large avocado, diced
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, cilantro, and cumin.
- Add in remaining ingredients and toss with dressing. Serve immediately or store in fridge, tightly covered.
If not serving immediately, add avocado immediately prior to serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: Honestly, I can’t recall if he tried this or not. So let’s just say he loved it.
Changes I would make: None are necessary, but if you want to kick it up a notch and make it even more of a meal, add some grilled chicken or some crumbled queso fresco.
Difficulty: Very easy! Especially if you have cooked quinoa in the freezer like I always do.