Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Dip with Marsala
This slow cooker chicken cheese dip with Marsala cooking wine tastes like everyone’s favorite chicken Marsala but in an irresistibly cheesy, dip form. It’s a hearty appetizer that’s going to be a hit at your next party.
This post is in partnership with Holland House – thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about brands I use in my own kitchen!
One of Ben’s favorite meals is chicken Marsala – and I have to say, I love it too. The flavors of the Marsala wine, fruity and slightly sweet, with tender chicken and flavorful mushrooms is pretty irresistible. He loves this chicken Marsala pasta (I love it, too–it’s made in one pan!) and Instant Pot chicken Marsala. It’s also one of his go-to things to order when we go out for dinner. I don’t often order it because I like to try new things, but he loves ordering it. And eating it.
I was curious about the origin of chicken Marsala. According to Wikipedia, the classic Italian dish dates to the nineteenth century, when it most likely originated with English families who lived in western Sicily, where Marsala wine is produced. The chicken breasts are pounded flat and coated with breading, fried, and covered with a delicious sauce made of Marsala wine and butter.
I wanted to turn chicken Marsala into an easy holiday dip for entertaining. It’s not as easy as cranberry salsa or say throwing some Velveeta and tomatoes with green chiles in the slow cooker for queso dip, but it’s completely doable and the extra effort pays off in major flavor.
How to make this cheesy dip:
I started by cooking the chicken in Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine in the slow cooker for a few hours to really infuse the chicken with the flavor of Marsala. Next, I shredded the chicken, and added a little extra Marsala, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and mozzarella cheese. I put all that back into the slow cooker. After those ingredients melted together, I stirred in some perfectly browned mushrooms (also with a touch of Marsala!). Oh yum, these mushrooms! Stop me from eating all the mushrooms before they even get to the dip!
Leave this chicken cheese dip in the slow cooker on the warm setting until you’re ready to serve it. It can be served right out of the slow cooker or placed in a heavy crock or baking dish. It’s a thick dip perfect for spreading onto toasted french bread slices.
Chicken cheese dip with Marsala is a hearty appetizer that’s perfect for parties where you either only serve appetizers or if there’s going to be a significant amount of time between appetizers and dinners. It’s also the perfect game day appetizer, packed full of chicken and enough to satisfy even the hungriest football fans.
Looking for warm cheesy appetizers? Try one of these!
- Queso Blanco Dip for tortilla chips (no Velveeta cheese!)
- Healthy Queso Dip with Butternut Squash
- Hot Caprese Dip recipe
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Cheddar Leek Dip recipe
- Hummus Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Creamy Corn Dip (Well Plated by Erin)
- Insanely Delicious Hot Crab Dip (The Recipe Critic)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.25 pounds)
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated or cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread sliced and toasted
- Place chicken breasts, 1 cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, and dried thyme in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours and shred. Remove any excess liquid. Return chicken to slow cooker and add cream cheese, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine, mozzarella cheese. Cook on low for 2 hours or until all ingredients are melted. Stir to combine.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute mushrooms sprinkled with salt and pepper until golden brown. Add 1 tablespoon Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine and cook until wine is reduced and nearly gone. Add mushrooms to dip, and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with toasted bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 of 15
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 328mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g
Husband’s take: He loved this! Even more than I did, maybe. But that’s no surprise considering his love of Marsala.
Changes I would make: None are necessary. Have you seen those french bread “boats” with a well carved out of the middle? They’re usually filled with spinach artichoke dip or something similar. I might try that with this dip sometime — it’s nice and thick and would be perfect for that kind of presentation. If you try it, report back, and let me know how it is!
Difficulty: easy to moderate
Disclaimer: This Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Dip with Marsala recipe was created in connection with my agreement as a partner with Holland House Cooking Wines. Holland House compensated me for the time required to create this recipe and share it with you. All opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting my blog by reading about brands I use and love in my own home.