One Pan Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Beer
Fall perfection comes in the form of One Pan Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Beer. The flavors are out of this world and it’s even a little lighter thanks to the pumpkin and whole wheat pasta.
Macaroni and cheese, in any form, is one of my favorite things. My (very old) recipe for the easiest ever macaroni and cheese is one of the most popular recipes on Rachel Cooks. My copycat Panera macaroni and cheese has inspired all sorts of feedback…seems like people either love it or hate it. Like that recipe, this pumpkin mac and cheese is also a one pan recipe. The pasta is cooked right in the broth, pumpkin, beer, and milk for the creamiest, most delicious macaroni and cheese. It’s full of flavor and so easy to make.
The great thing about this macaroni and cheese is that it is a little better for you than traditional macaroni and cheese. It’s full of healthy whole grains thanks to whole wheat pasta and it doesn’t use quite as much cheese as traditional macaroni and cheese since the pumpkin helps provide creaminess and color. I used extra sharp cheddar in this recipe but it would be great with a more mild cheddar as well.
Used in this recipe:
More One Pan Pasta Ideas:
- Taco Pasta (ready in 30 minutes)
- One Pan Lemon Pasta with Sausage, Asparagus, and Dill
- Chicken Marsala Pasta
- Pizza Pasta (6 ingredients, ready in 20 minutes)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree (plain!)
- 12 ounces beer (1 1/2 cups) – I recommend IPA
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (more to taste)
- 1 box (16 oz.) whole wheat pasta shells
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring milk, pumpkin, beer, chicken stock, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne to a good simmer (do not boil).
- Reduce heat to medium and add pasta. Cook, stirring frequently, for 12-14 minutes or until al dente. Make sure to stir frequently so pasta cooks evenly and does not burn.
- Reduce heat to low and add cheddar and cream cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Use macaroni instead of pasta shells, if you prefer.
Make sure you choose plain pumpkin puree, and not the canned pumpkin with pumpkin pie spices added.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
Husband’s Take: He loves this, maybe even more than I do. He put canned tuna on top of his serving of mac and cheese but he puts tuna on top of everything. To each his own.
Changes I would make: None are necessary.
Disclosure: I have been compensated by Milk Means More for my time to develop this recipe and write this post. All opinions are as always, my own. Find out more about why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.