BBQ Bourbon Grilled Chicken Stuffed with Peppers and Onions
Summer at its best, this BBQ bourbon grilled chicken is marinated until flavorful and tender and then stuffed with peppers, onions, and cheese.
It seems like I’ve been sharing a lot of grilling recipes lately, and I have to admit, I love it! It’s so refreshing to finally be able to get outside and enjoy grilled food and fresh air. It’s been what seems like a very long time coming this year.
When I was approached to create a recipe using the new KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rubs, I immediately thought about doing a take on Ben’s favorite, fajitas. (I mean, his favorite after my infamous tuna noodle casserole.) I thought that a BBQ and fajita combination would be mouth-watering, and it turns out I was right. I decided to add a little bourbon in for good measure because, after all, it’s summer!
I use the Original flavor of KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rubs but I think this recipe would be amazing with the Sweet Honey variety or the Spicy Habanero if you like a little more heat. (Pssst…you can find them all in the condiment aisle near the other KC Masterpiece® BBQ sauces at Walmart, in fact, you can find all the ingredients in this recipe at Walmart!)
It’s a dry mix that can be used as a marinade, sauce, or dry rub. Super versatile, and just the kind of product I like my pantry stocked with.
In addition to the KC Masterpiece® and the bourbon, I also add a touch of Greek yogurt to the marinade to really tenderize the chicken and keep it moist. It’s one of my favorite additions to marinades (it makes for amazing shish tawook, too).
Since I’m already packing in a lot of flavor with the marinade and stuffing (peppers, onions and cheese to drive the fajita flavors home), I make a fresh, bright, summery topping. It takes me all of 5 minutes to stir together a mixture of tomatoes, avocados, and green onions which complements the flavor of the bourbon grilled chicken perfectly. Make sure to squeeze a little lime juice in – it not only adds a bright flavor but it also keeps the avocado from browning.
Anyone else ready for this chicken? I’m typing this at 10:30am and I’m already ready for dinner.
If you’re loving the chicken + grill + avocado situation happening here, make sure to check out my bacon wrapped grilled chicken – it’s stuffed with avocado and cheese and it’s pretty amazing, too.
Love the taste of grilled marinated chicken?
Here’s a few more chicken marinade recipes to try:
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (about 4 chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup bourbon or whiskey
- 1 pouch (2 ounce) KC Masterpiece® Original BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced in half moons
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 green onion, sliced finely
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a zip-top bag.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, bourbon, and KC Masterpiece® Original BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub until combined. Pour over chicken in bag and move chicken around to make sure it is coated with marinade. Close bag and place in a baking dish or bowl to protect your fridge from leaks. Place in fridge and marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and wipe off excess marinade. Carefully butterfly chicken, cutting it open like a book but not cutting all the way through the chicken. Open the chicken, and sprinkle inside evenly with onion, bell pepper and cheese. Fold chicken over the filling. If desired, secure with a water-soaked toothpick.
- Place on preheated grill and cook for about 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping by combining tomato, avocado, green onion, and lime juice in a small mixing bowl. Taste and add salt, pepper, and more lime juice to taste.
- Serve chicken topped with avocado and tomato mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 586Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 67g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: Aside from the green onions (he’s not a fan), he loves this bourbon grilled chicken. Fajitas are one of his favorites so I knew this chicken would be a hit.
Changes I would make: None are necessary.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KC Masterpiece®. The opinions and text are all mine.