Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Learn how to make slow cooker corned beef and cabbage with rainbow carrots and potatoes, the perfect meal for a St. Patrick’s Day feast that the whole family is sure to love.
Every year I love seeing recipes that pop up right before St. Patrick’s Day. I even put together a list of 75 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes. I also have a list of 25 naturally green recipes that are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day.
I couldn’t get the thought of corned beef and cabbage out of my head, the quintessential St. Patrick’s Day recipe.
I’ve always wanted to try my hand at making corned beef and cabbage and have been so super impressed by my mother-in-law who makes it every year. I asked her what her secret is, and she laughed and told me it was probably one of the simplest dishes she has ever made, and that all that was required was a slow cooker and the ingredients. After that, you just set it and forget it.
So I went to get the ingredients, which proved to be more difficult than I had thought. I guess when you’re looking for a corned beef brisket in January the grocery stores think you’re crazy because they only start carrying them in late February-early March (which makes sense because March is the month in which they’re primarily purchased and they don’t want an overstock that no one will buy…but STILL!) After visiting 4 grocery stores over multiple weeks, I finally found a corned beef brisket and set to work.
Making this recipe is so much easier than I could have ever imagined. You literally put the corned beef in a slow cooker with water and beef stock, let it cook at a low temperature and then add vegetables a few hours before it is done and voila! slow cooker corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes.
Of course, in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit, you have to make this dish with rainbow carrots…get it…rainbows, luck of the Irish, leprechauns? I know, I will dial my dorkiness back a notch.
Whatever kind of carrots you use, this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes is a classic, super easy, and delicious meal to make for this St. Patrick’s Day, or any day really, if you can find corned beef brisket.
Looking for more slow cooker meals?
- 4-5 pound corned beef brisket
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 small-to-medium red potatoes
- 1 pound rainbow carrots (whole carrots, 8 carrots, ends removed)
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Remove brisket from brine liquid it is packaged in and remove the seasoning packet that it also comes with.
- Place brisket, fat side down in a slow cooker, sprinkle the seasoning packet over the brisket. Pour beef broth and water into the slow cooker and sprinkle in the salt. Set on low and cook for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove lid and add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage wedges and cook on low for another 2 hours.
- Take a fork and poke into the meat, it should fall apart. Take brisket out of the slow cooker and place on a board and slice it into slices, then serve a slice or two of the brisket with a red potato, 1 carrot and a wedge of cabbage.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1001Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 1161mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 88g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.