Bacon, Leek and Parmesan Whole Wheat Flatbread
Whole wheat flatbread with bacon, leeks, and Parmesan makes a great dinner, appetizer or even breakfast or brunch. Use pre-made pizza dough and customize the toppings!
Do you have certain things that you buy every time you go to the grocery store? This is completely NOT sponsored — but I’ve been buying Pillsbury’s Artisan Pizza Crust nearly every time I grocery shop.
The best part about the pizza crusts is that they’re a refrigerated dough that you just need to roll out and place on a pan and bake. It fits my 12×17 pan perfectly and bakes up so nicely.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a homemade pizza crust but let’s be real. This lady has a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. Kneading and two rise times don’t jive well with my schedule. This roll of pizza dough is in the fridge standing by for that night when time runs short. It’s easy, tasty and everyone loves it.
My crust usually finds itself topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni but sometimes I like to change it up.
I like to serve this bacon, leek and Parmesan whole wheat flatbread with mini frittatas and some fruit. Easy, healthy, and most importantly? Delicious. (And there’s bacon so that’s automatically a win.)
I like the taste of the little bits of diced Parmesan but if you can’t get over the look of them (is it just me or do they look like marshmallows?), you could also grate the cheese for a more uniform blanket of cheese. Or you could try a different type of cheese. Enjoy!
- one refrigerated Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced into half moons and rinsed well
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- about 6 ounces cooked center-cut bacon (6-7 strips), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 12×17 rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray. Spread whole wheat pizza dough so that it covers the entire baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a medium frying pan over medium heat, saute the leek in butter (sprinkle with pepper) until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- After the crust has pre-baked, remove it from the oven and cover it with sauteed leeks, bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 6 more minutes, remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes. Cut and serve.
- Use any pizza crust of your choice.
- Substitute a different kind of cheese for the Parmesan.
- Be creative with toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 616mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: I was thinking that this might be too “weird” for him but he really likes it! Can’t go wrong with bacon. E loves it too.
Changes I would make: None are necessary!
Thanks for reading! As always, if you love this recipe, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter so you’ll never miss a recipe, or you can always find me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram.
(Again, NOT sponsored. Just love to share easy meal ideas!)